Is it cruel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trafficjam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A beginner tank placement question for all - is it cruel for the fish to have a tank open on all sides and placed as a room divider? I've read that you need a background - and not just for scenery.

The reason I ask is that the only place I have to set up my new 30 GAL. is on a small bar between two rooms in a high traffic area. Will this freak out my fish? (How good is a fishes eyesight?) My wife is against a backdrop because she wants to be able to see the tank from both rooms -but I have read that it is necessary to prevent fish stress.

I plan to set up a freshwater and planted community tank and this is my very first aquarium so any help is very much appreciated! Thanks!

Hmm. I think having a background is better, I believe it helps the fish feel secure.

If you insist on not having a background, maybe if you have enough plants/decor/hiding places, it will be ok. Also, being in a high traffic area, you ought to stay away from shy fish.

Good luck!

(ps - your screen name can't be a reflection of driving in Toronto, can it? LOL)

Will definitely aquascape the tank to compensate! Could you expand a little on what "shy" fish I should avoid?

P.S. Yes I do indeed pass the time on the DVP occassionally! Thanks for the info.

You can use that tank as a room divider if you plan for it. I would divide the tank down the center with plants and rocks so the fish have some retreat. Let's here what species of fish you'd like to keep Bernard?

PS. Toronto is one of my favorite cities. I've spent a good deal of time in traffic on the 401 too.

Yes, as other have said livbe plants will not only make the tank look better but will give the fish a plce to hide.

That being said I know that my betta loves it when people are near the tank and he hangs out which ever side you are nearest. Most of my platies hang out looking for food when I walk by. And some fish just plain don't notice people. My gouramis are shy though I don't know about others.

Blind cave tetras if you can find there are great (cause they are blind and don't see you comming).

trafficjam...

While having a backdrop is 'nice' and it can make shy fish feel more secure, I don't think you'll have many problems with setting up your 30gal the way you describe. If you stick with 'out front' fish, like Tiger Barbs, Capoeta tetrazona, or other fish of similar personalities you'll find that they adjust very quickly to the high-traffic area.

Agree with the folks above. Background not necessary, but the fish need some "cover". They will be much less stressed with plants, rocks, driftwood in the tank. Many times they won't actually hide, just sort of hang around the plants, because they feel they can make a quick get away if needed.

As already mentioned I would not worry about the background. As long as you plant the tank well and add some rocks and driftwood so the fish have a place to retreat to. I would recommend some tetras, danios, or barbs as these fish tend to be less likely to take flight when they see something move. Also a good algea eater I would take a look at is the clown pleco, they are very attractive and stay small not like common plecos that can reach 60 plus cm.

Trafficjam~

I have a 125 gal thats used as a room divider. It seperates the living room from the kitchen. I love it!!
I have Angel fish, Gourami's, catfish and a pleco in there and they don't seem to mind.
Last year at this time I had 5 koi in the tank.They, on the otherhand, went crazy. IMO, Koi belong in a pond. :wink:
What do you plan on keeping in your tank?
If you view my photo gallery, you can see my tank divider there.

I have balloon mollies that will follow my fingers like dogs begging to be petted. One of them, I call her Ghengis, is pushy and likes to be petted! My husband plays his video games sitting on a stool right in front of the tank and they come out of any hidding places and just watch. We have taught them to do "tricks" because they are so people oriented! We even think they like looking at the X-mas tree lights, because ever since we put up the tree, they hang out on that side of the tank. No shyness here!

I thought of this thread when I was in Niagara Falls this week for New Year's. At the Rainforest Cafe there, they have a giant tank with sharks and little blue fish (argh, can't remember what they are - they look sort of like blue tangs). Anyway, that tank is a room divider, and I guess those fish don't mind when the place is packed with people walking by. A tank as a room divider definitely looks cool!

I have 2 male betas, 2 african cichlids (one yellow lab and a blue neon) and they are very people oriented. I keep the cichlids in a tank next to my laptop in my dorm room and they always get really excited when I sit at my desk. I have hung some plastic rings in the tank and my yellow lab, Nemo, will weave in and out of them. My blue neon, Ozzy, plays with a small toy ball I put in the tank. He balances it on his head and swims around trying to keep it on his head. My betas live on top of the mini fridge and swim to the front any time my roommate or I get into the fridge. They also watch the tv.

IMHO you can almost never go wrong with Cichlids. They are very tolerant to temp changes, water parameter changes, getting dropped in the sink (nemo flipped out of the net once), and they are relatively cheep as far as fish go , but be warned they are agressive.

My mollies will follow a finger, on the outside of the glass, in full circles. They have also been trained that 3 taps on the tank means food, 1 tap means come out, come out where ever you are. Sometimes I think of them as aquatic dogs. Simple tricks I know, but they allow me to see them and to lead them to one side of the tank or another to get really good looks at their health. Even the newest fry (less than 2 weeks old) are already comming to the finger and the food taps.
The tetras only respond to the food taps... they are more like the cats of the tank! They don't like the tricks and will hide when the mollies start up.

I will add that there's nothing shy about my giant danios. They'd probably jump right ouf the tank and go for a walk with me if I'd let them and if it was physically possible. Geez..these guys know no fear and no tranquillity (plus they're pigs!).

Back
Top Bottom