is it dangerous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jordanlee123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi just got new tank and I'm using sand is it dangerous if air bubble are in the sand can it harm fish (when I get them after cycle is done) will air pockets hold bad things in it

I don't think you have anything to worry about here unless the sand is very think (over 2+ inches). What you are describing is encapsulated gas from anaerobic bacteria, which contains a high level of methane. That is highly unlikely unless you have a lot of dead organic matter in your tank, trapped below the sand. Just be sure that you are using sterile sand formulated for aquarium use. If you plan to have a planted tank...you will have diatoms until your silicates are settled out.
D

Thank and in one corner it's most probably 2 inch thick bit only when I run finger threw sand small air bubble come out s I think due to the sand and tank is a day old and air got trapped when I put it in tank

Some air got trapped when I first put my sand in also, not something to be too concerned with. A trick I used was I bought a brand new hair comb rinsed it in some tank water and combed the sand to agitate all the bubbles out. Also some fish like kuhli loaches will dig in the sand and stir up any trapped bubbles before they get too dangerous.

Any air bubbles that get released form the sand rise quickly to the surface and burst. Very very minute amounts of the toxic gasses will actually accumulate in the water. There isn't any danger from this.

I've never had a problem with that and have been running sand for two years now in my 55 gallon. I have crawfish in it though and they love to comb through it everyday. I used bag sand from a department store too. I cleaned it several times in 5 gallon bucket though but like I said no probs now 2 years straight

I just used my hands to stir up my sand when I put it in. And stirred it till there were no more bubbles. It shouldn't be harmful.

Is this harmful if you have very deep sand? I have one spot in my tank 6-8 inches deep.

Cheers all I ran a fork threw sand think I got most air out. And can't wait till tank is cynicaled so I can chose my fish

Some spots may build up with toxic gasses if a lot of anaerobic bacteria are allowed to accumulate. This can be prevented by agitating the sand in the deepest spots. I have a MAGNUM power pump that I use as a powered gravel vac.Iit lifts the substrate and tumbles it, before letting it settle back to the bottom. Any anaerobic debris is removed and the substrate is oxygenated, allowing BB to grow.
D

Back
Top Bottom