Is it normal for a fish to "sleep" by floating at the surface?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aneamals

Aquarium Advice Activist
Every night, my fish (a male platy) sticks to the surface of the water and barely moves. At first, I thought he was trying to breathe the air because the water quality was bad (even though it's cycled), so I've been doing daily water changes, but he continues to swim at the surface every night.
According to research, fish sleep by staying in a specific spot without hardly moving. My fish does that, except at the surface of the water, sometimes laying on a leaf of a fake plant that is close to the surface.
During the day, he swims all around the tank, but at night, he sticks to the surface. There is an hob filter creating a waterfall that causes ripples and bubbles to the water. I also included a bubbling airstone. So it can't be the lack of oxygen anymore.
Is it normal? My fish is still doing great after 2 weeks in the quarantine tank. No signs of any other problem or sickness.

I have a guppy that does the exact same thing. The first time I saw him do this I thought he was dead but he woke up, so I decided he must be sleeping. I still see him do this from time to time. I've had him for about 4 months now.

Certainly sounds feasible to me. I'd say if he looks great during the day time, he's probably just resting, and he just so happens to be at the top of the tank.

A lot of my fish rest higher than they usually swim at night.

Yes sometimes I take a small light and look at my fish at night sometimes and many do this!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My 3 pearl gourami do this grouped together near the top at night.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom