Is it normal for loaches to just hang out at the heater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have three Angelicus Botia loaches and all they do is hang out at the heater. The bubbler is right under the heater so it flows a curtain of bubbles up at them. Is it the flow they like, the heat from the heater or both? Or is there a potential problem/illness causing their lethargic behavior? Upon close inspection I do not see any visible signs of any issues. There are plenty of hiding places. Ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, nitrate is 20, PH 7.6.

Any insight on what could be going on and what I should do if there is a problem is appreciated.

My dojo loach does the same thing sometimes. I think it's normal behavior, especially if your water parameters are good.

My dojos and kuhli loaches enjoyed hanging off the heater or behind my filter or in between my thermometer and the corner of the tank they would do it more when i first got them i think they were getting used to the new environment

My dojos and kuhli loaches enjoyed hanging off the heater or behind my filter or in between my thermometer and the corner of the tank they would do it more when i first got them i think they were getting used to the new environment

Well I would not be too concerned about mine except there is one that does not leave his post at the heater at all. At least the other two move about the tank every once in a while as I see them searching for food, but the other does not even move from his spot unless one of the others nudge him. Then he just moves an inch and plants himself again. Just wish I knew of some way to help him. No visible issues that I can tell. Unable to tell how fast gill movement is on any of them.

Back
Top Bottom