is it ok to run fluval fx5 with biomax replacing the sponges?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You will get waste trapped in your biomax (a lot more than usual). Its your only source of mechanical filtration. I advise to keep your sponge.

I have a tmc 1500 fluidized sand filter in addition to the fx5 and a series 4 sump filter, and 6 rio 1700 powerheads attached to the undergravel filter.

So mechanically speaking. If i load top basket with prefilter from fluval, and bottom 2 baskets with biomax, ( including the spots for the sponges) will this harm or help flow rate from the fluval?

Well it won't hurt it, but your prefilter and biomax will get dirty. I've been running FX5's (3) for a couple years and did remove the sponges once just to see and I was not happy with how coated the biomax got (and I did use the fluval prefilter media). So yes it can be done, it can make the flow alittle better than when the sponges get dirty and the filter is running, but the trade off to me just wasn't worth it. It's not a matter of how many/what kind of other filters you use, you still need mechnical filtration to keep your biological filtration from becoming overly dirty.

Awesome... Thanks...

Have you experimented or found successful alternatives to the fluval brand sponges, they are superhard to find in my area and my only option is order them online... and a set of sponges lasts me about a month...

Just curious but how are you using them up in a month? All you do is take them out and rinse them well to remove as much of the dirt/muck as possible. Rinse them in tank water if you want to preserve the BB or wash/rinse them out under a faucet if you aren't worried about losing the BB that is on them. I have other biological filtration so when I rinse my sponges I do a really good job using the faucet, rinsing, squeezing, rinsing, till the water pretty much runs clean. I've used the same sponges for 2+ years. The only time I ever changed them was when I broke down a tank and the filter sat cleaned for months before I used it again. Then I just started over with new sponges for a new tank. Your spending alot of unnecessary money.... clean your sponges and use the extra money to get more fish!

1.) lol dont need/wife wont let me get more fish.
2.) Ive tried rinsing and washing them out but they seem to fray or disintegrate after a couple good washings. One of my companies has the leaf guard foam sponge gutter inserts that ive been considering trying in place of the sponges... Thoughts?

Yeah, making your own out of another material is fine as long as it is an inert material that won't leech anything in the water. That is weird about wearing, mine seem to last forever.

After some internet research, and some testing, i found a great filter screen material thats water proof and you can buy it by 100 ft rolls. tank hasnt looked better.

I am considering getting a couple fluval g6s. do you have any experience with them? is there something comperable that u would advise in the less than 3ight Hundrd or less?

Nope I have used one. I've got all Fluval 406's, a couple 405's, and 3 FX5's. I actually made a couple DIY filter pads myself out a that really heavy coarse pond filter padding. Its so coarse it can stand up on its own. Its working pretty good. Glad you finally found something.

Back
Top Bottom