Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is it ok to store USED matrix bio media?

I currently have 2 baskets in my eheim 2076 filled of seachem matrix bio media. This might be overkill for a 55gal and I would also like to try placing filter floss in the top tray for more mech filtration.

My question is can i store USED bio media for later use?

are there any steps/precautions to take before storing it?

im going to assume im running the risk of a mini cycle, correct? anything else I should worry about?

Old 05-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't see why not, but I'd clean it first. If Seachem Matrix is like Eheim Substrat, I found this note on Eheim Classic Canister Cleaning Instructions

"Now remove ‡ to 2/3 of the old EhfiSubstrat pile and throw it away (Ed. note: you can also boil the ehfisubstrat in water, with a splash of bleach if you want it to get nice and white again, dry and save for future use). Mix the remaining media with the new and place it into the filter."

Old 05-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would just give it a good wash, in warm water and store it in a container of water. I wouldn't bleach it personally, as I believe it is porous, as the bleach could penetrate it and release the next time you use it. Seachem claim it won't break down, so storing it in water shouldn't be an issue. You could check Seachem website, the FAQ section. I'm sure you''ll get your answer there, or post a question to them.
If you think if you have over kill with that amount of Matrix, then removing some shouldn't be a problem. Seachem say 500ml Matrix per 50g.....
Old 05-15-2013, 01:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Haha then yeah I'm way overkill, I have over 2L of media in the two baskets so even one basket is almost 2x the recommended amount. I'll check the seachem forums an see what is said there.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would give it a good rinse in hot water, then dry it out in the sun for a few days. Once dry I would store it in an air/water tight container like a food storage container or old (cleaned) mayonnaise jar.

I wouldn't store it in water. I don't see any benefit to it, but adding potential for nasties to grow. It comes dry when you buy it, once it is out of the aquarium system, ammonia is not going to be present so all beneficial bacteria will die, so you might as well dry it out and store it dry. It will need to be repopulated with nitrifying bacteria once it is placed in a new filter whether it is stored in water or dry. I think dry is the safest and easiest way to do it.

Tags
bio, bio media, media, store

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com