Is it ok to user chemicals on outside of aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkA123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so my kit came with a thermometer and we put it on but then my mom said it should go on the side so we can see better and when we took It off it broke. Half of it came of and most of it stayed on the glass. So would it be ok to use glue off on the outside of the aquarium? It's glass so would the chemicals soak in or would it eat through thE glass it's extremely powerfully stuff. Also would it be ok to windex/that jet dry spray stuff the outside It's gotten real dirty. Thanks!

I suggest using pure white vinegar for cleaning the outside glass. If for any reason a small mount gets into the tank it won't cause as much harm as a regular cleaning product.

To remove the sticky use a razor blade first., just be careful not to scratch the glass. After it's off, use a washrag with some vinegar soaked onto it and hold it against the remaining sticky stuff. It worked great for cleaning off my old thermometers. When it's all cleaned off, you can flip the rag over and wipe down the rest of the glass with the vinegar. The glass will be nice and clean.

I use windex every week on my tanks, I just spray it on a paper towel away from the tank, then wipe off the glass. That being said, i doubt windex will pull glue residue off. You'll need a razor blade and something a little better for glue.

All of that aside, get a good glass thermometer that goes in the water so you can get an accurate reading... those stick on thermometers dont do a good job because they're not in direct contact with the water

Thanks ill try the vinegar on the remains of the themometer I'm not and use jet dry spray on the other fingerprints it's not storng it shouldn't get in I have a secure conopie and no holes.
I suggest using pure white vinegar for cleaning the outside glass. If for any reason a small mount gets into the tank it won't cause as much harm as a regular cleaning product.

To remove the sticky use a razor blade first., just be careful not to scratch the glass. After it's off, use a washrag with some vinegar soaked onto it and hold it against the remaining sticky stuff. It worked great for cleaning off my old thermometers. When it's all cleaned off, you can flip the rag over and wipe down the rest of the glass with the vinegar. The glass will be nice and clean.

Thanks I'm going to petco today and I'm going to get a digital themometer with LCD screen that way I just stick the probe on the water and it will give me a clear reading on the LCD outside of the tank without sticky stuff.
I use windex every week on my tanks, I just spray it on a paper towel away from the tank, then wipe off the glass. That being said, i doubt windex will pull glue residue off. You'll need a razor blade and something a little better for glue.

All of that aside, get a good glass thermometer that goes in the water so you can get an accurate reading... those stick on thermometers dont do a good job because they're not in direct contact with the water

Back
Top Bottom