Is it okay to take stones from outside and put into your tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragon14

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if it is okay to take stones from outside and put them into your tank? Obviously we would thoroughly wash them with very hot water!

I thought that we should just get some from the pet store, but my other half said that why pay for them when it's the same as we can get from outside.

We want to put some into the back of the tank for the little cories to play on. We do have a nice fake rock decoration that is very nice, but he though that some stones would be nice too.

I'm not terribly experienced, but I think you have to be quite careful that you know what kind of stone/rock it is and what its made of because they can mess with water parameters and also leech things into the water.

Someone else might be able to elaborate!!

Mmm that's what I was thinking too! I'd hate to get anything nasty into the water or change the water too much.

Our ph is either 7.6 or higher (it is the highest on the regular API water test) and I know that rock/coral and wood can alter ph.

Rocks can make it higher and wood lower I believe, is what I came across in some casual research. I don't know how MUCH lower wood makes it, but, I think our little catfish would love some wood :) We certainly don't need a higher PH lol.

I'm a bit too scared to test my pH - I live in an extremely hard water area so would be very high pH (costs a fortune in broken showers and washing machines and kettles!) and keep meaning to buy some wood as I've heard that it brings pH down.

After a quick google search it looks like you should boil the stones and then set it up in some test water to see if it affects the water drastically. Not sure how you know it isn't slowly leeching poisonous stuff in though....maybe that's what the boiling stops?

Apparently there's also a 'vinegar test'.. If the rock fizzes when you pour vinegar on it you shouldn't use it.

Might be easier just to buy it!

Mmm. When I was reading about ph after we got our betta, I came across the info to NEVER NEVER EVER change it with chemicals. It makes sense. I read rock for up and wood for down, or almond (may be mistaken about the kind) leaves to help bring it down too, but that can color the water (although harmless).

I thought about buying the high range ph test kit, but then I read some things from other people on forums after searching online, that they tested with that and it was difficult to tell between the two tests (regular and high range) what their ph really was and the high range put it around what the regular said or it was a little different so...) Ours tops out on the regular ph kit at the pretty medium blue, which says 7.6. It could be higher, I am not sure. I don't know how to find out really but I could spend money on the high ph kit but I don't use the ph test kit that often as it is, so it could be a waste of $$ (and I've spent soo much money on these fishies already lol). Of course I made the mistake of buying the ph test AND adjuster kit in one (because that sounded nice right?) so that cost more. Thankfully I learned before I used it (other than the test part) to NOT mess with ph unless it is done naturally.

We are new to aquariums and fish keeping, but, the betta we have and our 5 little pygmy cory cats (I am going to get 2 more tomorrow so there will be 7 total) seem to be fine in our water. It comes from a well too, so no chlorine or anything. Obviously I still use a water conditioner :)

I don't know if I want to mess with wood or anything, but I think the corys would love it.... :) I just don't know how much it lowers the ph.

As for the stone question we were originally talking about, I think boiling would definitely be a good idea. But even if it is fine and no toxins or anything, it could still raise PH, and we don't need it to be higher.

I have taken both rocks and wood out of my creek, and put them in my aquarium. My fish love them.

Here is my routine:

Rocks:
1. Scrape the oraganic material (leaves/moss) off.
2. Boil on the stove for 10/15 minutes.
3. Cool
4. Put in fish tank

Wood:
1. Find cool wood in creek that sinks and looks in good condition (no rotting, mushrooms, etc.)
2. sit in sun until I get around to them (about a week)
3. Chuck the ones with mushrooms
4. wire brush the whole thing to get rotted stuff off.
5. Cook in oven for 1:30 hr, lowest temp you can go (within reason. 125/150 is good)
6. Cool
7. Stick in tank

Hope that helped.

Do you find that your ph changes with them much? How much with rocks? How much with wood? They sell driftwood at the petstore, although most of the pieces are HUGE and we only have a 10g.

I was wondering if it is okay to take stones from outside and put them into your tank? Obviously we would thoroughly wash them with very hot water!

I thought that we should just get some from the pet store, but my other half said that why pay for them when it's the same as we can get from outside.

We want to put some into the back of the tank for the little cories to play on. We do have a nice fake rock decoration that is very nice, but he though that some stones would be nice too.

I say yes. It has worked for me, just make sure you soak them and rinse them well in very hot water, do not boil them, just let them soak for a few days to be sure.

I have used a few rocks from the yard in my tank. I would avoid sandstone because it can break down over time and porus rocks in general would be hard to clean.

Do you find that your ph changes with them much? How much with rocks? How much with wood? They sell driftwood at the petstore, although most of the pieces are HUGE and we only have a 10g.

I don't really pay attention to my ph, but my fish seem to be happy.

And just a random thought, but my plants seem to like the driftwood too. They are actually growing!

Thank you both :)

I am definitely going to read that article.

We bought a piece of Malaysian driftwood for our pygmy catfish. Haven't put it in with them yet, but, I think they're gonna love it :D

Still debating on stones :p

If you get stones that are not soluble in water, like quartz or granite you need only sanitize them before adding. Limestone raises pH and kH over time, nor sure what other stones can do.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

All the rock in my tank is river rock found locally. I scrubbed it down good with antibacterial soap, then rinsed , and rinsed, and rinsed and (you get the idea). I have not had any problems with it. As far as wood goes, I ordered 3 pieces from a family owned driftwood retailer out of North Carolina (outer banks driftwood). I let the wood soak fully submerged for 2 1/2 months to let it fully leach. Then boiled it for a couple hours. My fish seem to be happy with it.

drink more beer

Mmm. When I was reading about ph after we got our betta, I came across the info to NEVER NEVER EVER change it with chemicals. It makes sense. I read rock for up and wood for down, or almond (may be mistaken about the kind) leaves to help bring it down too, but that can color the water (although harmless).

I thought about buying the high range ph test kit, but then I read some things from other people on forums after searching online, that they tested with that and it was difficult to tell between the two tests (regular and high range) what their ph really was and the high range put it around what the regular said or it was a little different so...) Ours tops out on the regular ph kit at the pretty medium blue, which says 7.6. It could be higher, I am not sure. I don't know how to find out really but I could spend money on the high ph kit but I don't use the ph test kit that often as it is, so it could be a waste of $$ (and I've spent soo much money on these fishies already lol). Of course I made the mistake of buying the ph test AND adjuster kit in one (because that sounded nice right?) so that cost more. Thankfully I learned before I used it (other than the test part) to NOT mess with ph unless it is done naturally.

We are new to aquariums and fish keeping, but, the betta we have and our 5 little pygmy cory cats (I am going to get 2 more tomorrow so there will be 7 total) seem to be fine in our water. It comes from a well too, so no chlorine or anything. Obviously I still use a water conditioner :)

I don't know if I want to mess with wood or anything, but I think the corys would love it.... :) I just don't know how much it lowers the ph.

As for the stone question we were originally talking about, I think boiling would definitely be a good idea. But even if it is fine and no toxins or anything, it could still raise PH, and we don't need it to be higher.
Yeah get the highrange, I got the APi master test kit, my PH is like 8-8.4.

Why are you never suppose to use chemicals to change PH? I know using PH up or down directly into the tank probably isn't a good idea but the seachem stuff when doing a water change seems ok to me.

Don't use limestone, any granite or slate or anything should work fine.

Back
Top Bottom