Is it possible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokeeater

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently got a 55 gallon for christmas, I was seriously considering piranhas but I think that I want something a little less skittish, (more action). I have a proposal--Is it possible to keep african cichlids, puffers and an eel together in a 55 gal. I am cycling it now, it has black sand substrate and an emperor 400 running now. I was thinking about assorted malawi's some figure 8 puffers and an eel. I think this would be possible considering that I give everyone a territory to claim. Also I was planning on making territories w/red lava rock. Has anyone else done this with black sand substrate. Thanks in advance.

I have a feeling the puffers are the incapatible choice here.

If you did a Lake Tang biotope (Got to avoid those Malawi's), there ARE native Lake Tang eels that should be fine a 55G. 1 anyways.

The problem is that a 55 really isn't that big once those cichlids get full gorwn and the eel and puffer do as well. There won't be as much room as you think to create individual territories and one of the group will probably get picked off (probably the cichlids when they are smaller - those puffers get mean).

Plus it might be hard to feed the puffers as well. They take pretty much live or frozen food only and can make for a really messy tank. You will need massive filtration.

tkos said:
those puffers get mean.

Plus it might be hard to feed the puffers as well. They take pretty much live or frozen food only and can make for a really messy tank. You will need massive filtration.

Not really. You're painting a pretty inaccurate picture of puffers here...especially the figure-eight (figure-eights are one of the more docile species)

puffers eat almost anything that they can find, although some species are more picky than others...and they eat all the time..even when they are full...it's their nature.

puffers eat:

-live shrimp (brine, ghost) especially when puffers are young
-freeze dried bloodworms (usually adults like these)
-freeze dried krill (broken down with your finger)
-live snails (their favourite)
-frozen bloodworms
-flake food (rarely)

I know this cuz i've successfully fed my puffers with these foods...not all at the same time, mind you! ;)

Secondly, you won't need massive filration b/c of the puffers' feeding habits....just don't feed them too much.....some puffers like to be hand fed...it's a fact....but like I said, they'll eat all the time...so don't be fooled and think they're hungry....it'll be your own fault if you have a major mess in the tank.

they are NOT messy fish..that's for sure.

SMOKEEATER: there have been some AMAZING threads on puffers in the past month or two in this forum....i can't be bothered to search cuz i'm at work...but i'm sure the search tool will help you out!

Zach.

I agree with Patwa not all Puffers are aggresive! And they are not overly messy eaters. As mentioned puffs always look hungry and are always willing to eat you just need to keep from overfeeding them. I have found that each puffer has their own unique personality you really won't know for sure what their individual temperment is until you get them home and observe them. Don't worry if the first few days when they come home they are not interested in eating, I have found this to be normal with puffers. Usually after a few days when they are acustomed to their new environment they start to eat and find out just how piggy they can be!

And as Patwa said there are some interesting chats here on them. Also if you have any specific questions you can visit www.pufferlovers.com and they can help you.

Good luck with your choice.

This is all well and good, but my personal opinion is still that cichlids and puffers don't mix :p I'm willing to bet the cichlids will kill them in fact. :p

ferret said:
This is all well and good, but my personal opinion is still that cichlids and puffers don't mix :p I'm willing to bet the cichlids will kill them in fact. :p

yeah..i've never had cichlids...so i have no clue!... but puffers..yah man..that's one of my specialties! ;)

Zach.

Thank You for all of the help. Does anyone have experience with keeping eels in freshwater? I have found conflicting info on the web. LFS said eels could live in brackish environment but should be in sw

The figure 8 puffer is a brackish fish, and will really not do well in a FW setup. If you do go brackish and keep them, I believe their aggression is conspecific, so if you have only one it should be fine with other non-puffers.

I like the Lake Tang biotope suggestion. I think with the rocks and the sand you could have a really lovely thing going. Ideally your tap water is on the hard alkaline side for that kind of thing. If not, you can go with some SA cichlids. Lots of options!

I got some colorful africans today. I still want to try the eel. does anyone have any experience keeping fw eels? Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom