Is it possible to get a quiet HOB filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I tried an Aqua Clear last summer and had niose and rattle problems with it and ended up sending it back. Got a Tetra brand and that started grinding. A few weeks ago I decided to try again and got a Marineland Penguin. It was fine for 3 weeks and now it is grinding as well. I rinsed the impeller and tried to be careful with it, but to no avail. It is noisier today than yesterday. I still have time to return it and I am thinking about trying another Aqua Clear because people seem to like them so much. Maybe I got a bum one before. I just want a quiet fish tank, but I seem to be having trouble getting one.

What sized tank do you have? One of mine is a 46g & I had an Aqueon but switched to a Fluval 306 canister filter . . . OH MY the difference. Yes, they're more expensive but IMO so worth the money.

The thing abajt AC is the lid is noisy. Try a rubber band. But compared to others its quiet. Mayb you have sensitive hearing

All of the aqueon quietflows I have are completely silent other than the slight sound of water running over the honeycomb part, which is removable anyway.

All of the aqueon quietflows I have are completely silent other than the slight sound of water running over the honeycomb part, which is removable anyway.

I have an aqueon on my hospital tank which is now fully functioning to keep some extra fish. IMO HOB setups are a recipe for expensive care. I took out the useless cartridges and stuffed it with sponges and ceramic rings works great. But yeah they are pretty quiet, but the loose cover gives off a low humming vibration sometimes

I have 2 AC50s. One is silent with the lid on and the other has a rattle/hum with the lid on (will try the rubber and thing).
The output is set somewhat high resulting in a splashing sound (depends on your water level); I added "lip extensions" to each to remove the splash.

The one I have is beyond annoyingly loud. It grinds. Also the output is to high above the water and it splashes.

I have stayed away from canister filters because of the cost. The LFS sales guy told me they are quieter on the outside, but the sound just ends up inside the tank to bug the fish. True? Not true?

What are the pros and cons of canisters? What are the good brands in the middle price range? I seem to have no luck with quiet HOB, so I might consider one this time.

I have stayed away from canister filters because of the cost. The LFS sales guy told me they are quieter on the outside, but the sound just ends up inside the tank to bug the fish. True? Not true?

What are the pros and cons of canisters? What are the good brands in the middle price range? I seem to have no luck with quiet HOB, so I might consider one this time.

I don't know how the noise would end up in the tank but i guess its possible, I've never noticed it. The canister, mine anyways, sits in a cabinet under the tank. The ONLY time I've ever heard it is when I had it touching the back wall of the cabinet. Now I do hear the water because i have the output slightly above the water line. I bought mine online for about a $100 less than at my LFS or Petsmart. Its easy to change out media, easy to clean, takes up less space on the tank wall, has a cleaner look because you only have the tubes showing up the back of the tank, the tank looks more open/brighter IMO, the intake & output are easy to adjust, it was easy to set up. The only media I replace is the polyfil that put in in place of the carbon. I did have to add a 2nd heater to my tank to maintain the water temp. Personally I won't have an HOB on a larger tank if I can help it.

This is what I have & if I remember correctly I purchased it from here:
http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquarium-Canister-Filters/I/Fluval-06-Series-Canister-Filters.aspx

I've been using Fluval canisters since the 80's and only use HOB's on things like QT tank or as a supplemental filter. I have all Fluval 406's on the tanks right now and they are quiet, there is tons of room for media, and IMO worth the cost. They might cost more up front but I use the sponges that come with them, bio media, and cheap 100% polyfill so over the long haul I spend little on media compared to the cost of inserts for HOB's over time since many people replace them quite often.

I've been using Fluval canisters since the 80's and only use HOB's on things like QT tank or as a supplemental filter. I have all Fluval 406's on the tanks right now and they are quiet, there is tons of room for media, and IMO worth the cost. They might cost more up front but I use the sponges that come with them, bio media, and cheap 100% polyfill so over the long haul I spend little on media compared to the cost of inserts for HOB's over time since many people replace them quite often.

I totally agree, HOBs are easy to setup and maintain but in regards to filtration a canister is way better. Room for more media which in turn greatly increases your BB colony, as well as more flow/movement. Most HOBs use those silly useless cartridges which depending on your bioload need to be replaced every week or two. I'm not a big chemical media guy and so I find a HOB only useful for QT tanks like Rivercats said. The price is 100% acceptable IMO. If you try to create your own canister, in order to do it right without the potential for disaster, you'd spend as much as you would a premade system. The only filter I think is excessively priced is the Fx5. But nothing really compares to it so it kind of has the market for larger aquariums.

The one I have is beyond annoyingly loud. It grinds. Also the output is to high above the water and it splashes.

Wow, I have 3 and all are dead silent, even with the lids on. I keep my water level high enough so its above the black trim on the tank so I can't see the water level. In return its high enough I don't get water sounds.

Mine, I literally cannot tell they are on sound wise.

Is it possible you are getting sand into your impellers ?

I use foam over my intakes or cut intakes shorter if needed.

My Aqueon is very quiet. AC's are almost silent.
My Eheim canister is super quiet.

I keep my water at the lip of the outflow. I have 4 tanks in my bedroom and I'm a super light sleeper.

I have 2 Emperor 280's on my 28 gal bow front and they're silent.... Barely even hear the water flow.... I've read online people saying theirs are loud though, maybe I just have two good ones. At the start I could hear the biowheel squeaking on one but it's stopped.

They're quieter than my table too fountain lol

None of my HOB's are noisy?

Some took a couple days to get primed with enough biofilm in them to run smoother, but they are all very quiet now. I have a marine land penguin 50, aqua clear 50's, cascade 80, and a few others. I prefer the aquaclears the most which a lot of people will disagree with because they say there are impeller problems, but I've never had any issues and the run the smoothest/quietest, and fit a lot more media in them. Plus the media made specifically for them doesn't have the carbon in it so I don't have to mess with cutting it all out.

Back
Top Bottom