Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-02-2018, 01:53 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Toronto
Posts: 20
[QUOTE=King Fisher;3506855]It's not off enough to be noticeable. I'm positive none of my tanks are leveled dead center.

The scratches aren't cracks right? Someone mentioned using aquarium silicone to put in the scratch which is what I would do. It will be covered by substrate so it won't matter what it looks like. Best you can do is fill it and see what happens.[/QUOTE


They are scratches, but they catch your nail a bit when you go across them. I think they must have happened as I was pushing the gravel around. I'll definitely fill them with silicone for peace of mind.
__________________

__________________
team neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:18 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
edevingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by team neon View Post
Thanks very much Edevingo, I'll do this.
Welcome. If you want any ideas on hiding the board let me know. I love repurposing furniture.
We gutted our kitchen and I made our center island out of our bedroom set. Everyone thought I was crazy, until i was finished. Lol Click image for larger version

Name:	12522919_10206125925646842_3162681671504675846_n.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	309929
__________________

__________________
edevingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:03 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Toronto
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by edevingo View Post
Welcome. If you want any ideas on hiding the board let me know. I love repurposing furniture.
We gutted our kitchen and I made our center island out of our bedroom set. Everyone thought I was crazy, until i was finished. Lol Attachment 309929
Wow! That's absolutely stunning! (Who'd a thunk it?!) All I was thinking was some fabric and magnets but it you have any ideas I'm all ears! Thanks!
__________________
team neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:16 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Toronto
Posts: 20
BTW, I just want to say thank you to everyone for the warm welcome. I've only been a member of this site for less than a week and I feel like I've found a great community here. So thank you!
__________________
team neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:03 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
King Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Nevada
Posts: 3,206
This is the best site out there for advice and I've been a part of quite a few.
__________________
King Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:37 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 19,189
Back to the scratches/cracks and silicone.. if they're scratches? Dont worry bout it.. I'd theyre cracks you'll be able to feel them with your nail on the bottom too. Throw the tank out. Silicone wont do anything in that situation.
__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:41 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
King Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Nevada
Posts: 3,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Back to the scratches/cracks and silicone.. if they're scratches? Dont worry bout it.. I'd theyre cracks you'll be able to feel them with your nail on the bottom too. Throw the tank out. Silicone wont do anything in that situation.
Duct tape if it's a crack.....it binds the world.
__________________
King Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:54 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
King Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Nevada
Posts: 3,206
It depends on where the scratch is, how long it is, and what side of the glass.*

Worst case, it's a long deep scratch on the outside of the tank.*

Glass facts! Glass has no compression limit. It can be compressed infinitely and will not fail.Eventually it will liquefy and flow, but it won't "break" under compression. It takes >1,000,000 psi to compress glass to the point of any phase change.*

BUT! Glass has almost no resistance against tension. The slightest amount of force in expansion can cause breakage. The presence of a scratch in the glass will weaken the surface integrity of the glass and cause a breaking point to open up.*

In a plate of glass, when bent the inside of the glass is put under compression, and the outer surface is under tension. In a pristine state the forces will balance for a long time before rupture, but with a scratch on the tension side you'll get an immediate break.*

Since water pressure is pushing out the glass from the inside a scratch on the inside will be held close in compression and not want to break, but if it's on the outside its just the opposite and can break.*


Also pressure increases with depth, so the further down the scratch is the more pressure it on it, the more likely to break.

Oh, and water disrupts silica bonds in glass, so a wet scratch is even weaker than a dry one.

From a guy who loves glass.
__________________
King Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:01 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Toronto
Posts: 20
Yikes! Thankfully there's nothing on the bottom of the tank so it's just a scratch (now coated in silicone). Kinda makes me want to coat the entire inside bottom of my tank in silicone... is there any value in putting some kind of silicone or plastic layer under the gravel to prevent future scratches? Or is that virtually impossible, scratches on the tank bottom from gravel are just a fact of life and you deal with it? Perhaps I'm navel gazing too much on this, but as a newbie, just curious.
__________________
team neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:51 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 19,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fisher View Post
Duct tape if it's a crack.....it binds the world.
Huh?? No... not going to last
__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:02 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
King Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Nevada
Posts: 3,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Huh?? No... not going to last
Lol. Tough as steel
__________________
King Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:05 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
King Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Nevada
Posts: 3,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by team neon View Post
Yikes! Thankfully there's nothing on the bottom of the tank so it's just a scratch (now coated in silicone). Kinda makes me want to coat the entire inside bottom of my tank in silicone... is there any value in putting some kind of silicone or plastic layer under the gravel to prevent future scratches? Or is that virtually impossible, scratches on the tank bottom from gravel are just a fact of life and you deal with it? Perhaps I'm navel gazing too much on this, but as a newbie, just curious.
Nah don't silicone the entire bottom. Just be more careful placing the gravel in the tank use a scooper or cup. Add gradually, move it carefully. Your tank will be ok.
__________________
King Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:51 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 40
You’re tank is fine. if it wobbles shove something under it. As far as not being level the worst that will happen is the higher side of the aquarium will be an eye sore. I couldn’t see a 20 gallon aquarium giving out because its a little unlevel I’d buy a canopy that over hangs so I can’t see the waterline and call it good . As for the scratch I wouldn’t even worry about it my 44 gallon has some pretty deep scratches and never had a problem and I had it going like that for 5 years. If you’re concerned mark it on the outside with a marker and fill it with water outside or in the garage or basement for a few days and see what happens
__________________
dylanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:21 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 130
Not sure if a leveling mat would be of any help for your stand. I used it on my flat-top solid wood stand and it was excellent. Still leveled the stand, but once I filled the tank, the mat took the unbalance in stride and my water level is even all the way around. Floor has about an 8 degree slope.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/auqa-...oaAsZdEALw_wcB
__________________
DTWGulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:28 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Toronto
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWGulo View Post
Not sure if a leveling mat would be of any help for your stand. I used it on my flat-top solid wood stand and it was excellent. Still leveled the stand, but once I filled the tank, the mat took the unbalance in stride and my water level is even all the way around. Floor has about an 8 degree slope.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/auqa-...oaAsZdEALw_wcB
Interesting, thanks for the tip. I have a rimmed tank, I've heard these are mostly for rimless but it probably doesn't hurt to add some cushioning. How long has yours been set up? Has the mat maintained the 'level' you started out with or has it compressed any further? Thanks!
__________________
team neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:11 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by team neon View Post
Interesting, thanks for the tip. I have a rimmed tank, I've heard these are mostly for rimless but it probably doesn't hurt to add some cushioning. How long has yours been set up? Has the mat maintained the 'level' you started out with or has it compressed any further? Thanks!
That particular tank has been up for around 5 months, I think, with water in it. The mat has kept things level quite nicely. That tank is also rimmed. I'd tried to find a foam sheet to put under the glass inside the rim on the bottom, but they were way too thick and I didn't think it would compress enough for the rim to touch the top of the stand. So I went with the leveling mat with a double-layer. So far, so good, and nothing seems amiss.

Here's a photo of the tank setup where you can see the mat under it. No water in it during this stage of the build, but it has been fine since I've filled it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0631EF11-1D7D-4FE8-BA7C-07E5E6DF6CBA.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	310007  
__________________
DTWGulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:25 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Toronto
Posts: 20
Cool looking tank. The mat sounds like a good idea. When you say double-layer, what do you mean? (Did you put 2 or is this an option when purchasing?) Thanks


Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWGulo View Post
That particular tank has been up for around 5 months, I think, with water in it. The mat has kept things level quite nicely. That tank is also rimmed. I'd tried to find a foam sheet to put under the glass inside the rim on the bottom, but they were way too thick and I didn't think it would compress enough for the rim to touch the top of the stand. So I went with the leveling mat with a double-layer. So far, so good, and nothing seems amiss.

Here's a photo of the tank setup where you can see the mat under it. No water in it during this stage of the build, but it has been fine since I've filled it.
__________________
team neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:28 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by team neon View Post
Cool looking tank. The mat sounds like a good idea. When you say double-layer, what do you mean? (Did you put 2 or is this an option when purchasing?) Thanks
I bought two and put one on top of the other. I estimated based on how bad the floor was that one thickness wouldn’t accommodate the disparity. Still used shins on the stand’s feet but the mats madei t perfect.
__________________

__________________
DTWGulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
level, stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How level is "level" Deminox General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 6 10-11-2014 07:11 PM
New tank -- is this Nitrate level possible? pinstripe Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 9 07-23-2005 03:56 PM
Best way to level a stand? 20 20 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 5 07-08-2005 02:47 PM
DIY 2 level, 3 tank stand plans Enki DIY Projects 2 01-15-2004 02:29 PM
tank and stand level Butters Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 9 08-12-2003 11:25 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.