Is it possible to level this kind of stand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

team neon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My floor is pretty unlevel and I'm having trouble trying to level my tank. Is it even possible with the legs on this stand? I got a piece of 5/8" plywood to put under the stand, thinking I could shim underneath of it. The way the floor is, the back 2 legs are higher than the front, and 2 diagonal legs are also off. When I shim to get the board level, and put the stand on top, the stand is not level, and when I put the empty tank on top it changes again. If I'm able to level it, do you think the board would slide or move with the weight of everything and change it again? The stand is old but still seems strong. I tightened all the bolts. But I noticed that when I look straight down on it, the top and bottom shelves don't seem to be aligned. Would this be a concern to anyone? Do you think I should stick with this stand or find another? And if I use it, what's the best approach for levelling? Thanks very much for your help on this. (btw, the tank is going in a different room than shown here, it is a hardwood floor It's a 20 gallon tall tank.)

Attachments

• tank stand-1.jpg
    tank stand-1.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 155
  • tank stand-2.jpg
    tank stand-2.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
My floor is pretty unlevel and I'm having trouble trying to level my tank. Is it even possible with the legs on this stand? I got a piece of 5/8" plywood to put under the stand, thinking I could shim underneath of it. The way the floor is, the back 2 legs are higher than the front, and 2 diagonal legs are also off. When I shim to get the board level, and put the stand on top, the stand is not level, and when I put the empty tank on top it changes again. If I'm able to level it, do you think the board would slide or move with the weight of everything and change it again? The stand is old but still seems strong. I tightened all the bolts. But I noticed that when I look straight down on it, the top and bottom shelves don't seem to be aligned. Would this be a concern to anyone? Do you think I should stick with this stand or find another? And if I use it, what's the best approach for levelling? Thanks very much for your help on this. (btw, the tank is going in a different room than shown here, it is a hardwood floor)
Its going to change again with the tank full and probably a few months down the road. Id also have to imagine even with shims under it, the weight of the tank would only end up throwing it off also, maybe not immediately but overtime. All my floors seem to be unlevel also. Lol Even my basement family room which is cement with hardwood over it. My 110g water level is about 1/2 inch off from one side to the next and I've never had any problems with it. Thsnkfully its unnoticeable with the trim. The stand is wood though reinforced with 4×4. Only reason I'd be hesitant to use your stand is due to the little people in my house. Unlike an above ground pool which uses the outward push of the water to keep it up a glass aquarium doesn't. If that analogy helps at all.

The two most important concerns are that the stand not rock back and forth and that all four corners of the tank rest firmly on top of the stand. A little slope on such a small tank really isn't anything to worry about. Perfect matching water levels from end to end of a tank is a nearly impossible achievement.

Thanks very much edevingo and V227. I have actually been losing sleep over this. Would you recommend using the plywood board/shims underneath the stand or just putting shims directly under the legs? (Would the shims crack or shift if just under the legs?). If I can only get one side level, is length more important than width? As long as the bubble is between the two lines it's okay (even if not perfectly centered?) Thanks

Last edited:
Just looking at this it seems very sketchy. Idk if I'd put 200 lbs or better on this.

Thanks very much edevingo and V227. I have actually been losing sleep over this. Would you recommend using the plywood board/shims underneath the stand or just putting shims directly under the legs? (Would the shims crack or shift if just under the legs?). If I can only get one side level, is length more important than width? As long as the bubble is between the two lines it's okay (even if not perfectly centered?) Thanks
Welcome. Have you tested it out with the tank filled with water? How unlevel is it? Hairpin legs are very strong. They make very heavy tables, benches with them. I have bar stools that have hairpin legs and I've tried to put those felt tabs on them but they make them wobbly. I'd personally try filling it and seeing how it is with the weight of the water pushing down on it. As said above as long as the water level isn't drastically different from one side to the other ,I'd personally leave it alone.

I set it up in the walk-in shower and did a 24-hour leak test. It was almost perfectly level in the shower, and seemed very stable. The room where it's going is another matter, a wonky wooden floor, where, if I do nothing, there's a definite wobble. I saw one of these steel stands in a video of an older fish room once, so I guess at one time they may have been common, I just haven't seen one in awhile. If I got a new cabinet style stand, I think I'd still have the same dilemma, having to put shims underneath. Two LFS say the cabinets don't come with adjustable feet, just to shim. If I keep this stand, sounds like it's tricky to shim directly under the feet. So I guess I'd be better off using the board underneath and shims? Or any other suggestions? Thanks very much, I really appreciate the advice.

Plastic composite shims work best when dealing with aquariums. As long as the bubble stays between the two lines on your level things should be okay. If you are still worried about the tank tipping, anchor the stand to the wall.
Hopefully there is a stud behind the tank. Put a screw in the stud, then tie a tight line to the screw connecting with the stand.

Plastic composite shims work best when dealing with aquariums. As long as the bubble stays between the two lines on your level things should be okay. If you are still worried about the tank tipping, anchor the stand to the wall.
Hopefully there is a stud behind the tank. Put a screw in the stud, then tie a tight line to the screw connecting with the stand.

Thanks, I would never have thought of that!

My floor is uneven as well. I use thick flat metal pieces about 2 square inches and a combination of 1/16 to 1/8 if an inch thick and place the under the legs till the stand is leveled.

Thanks Gilpi. Is your stand similar? And where do you get the metal pieces? I considered using coins but realized I'd need to stack too many for my comfort level. The metal pieces you describe are fairly thick, that would be an advantage.

Good news: I think I've managed to level the empty tank on the stand, using the board and shims.

Bad news: I accidently dropped a small resin decoration into my tank from about 10" high. It fell with a loud 'clunk'. Then I noticed what looks like 2 scratches on bottom of the tank, 3" and 1" long, deep enough that my nail can catch them.

Ugh. Have I just toasted my tank? Do I need to replace it? The scratches may have been made from gravel, as I did have gravel in for weight when trying to level it last week. It's a brand new tank, I can't believe I did this. I'm worried I may have created a weak point with potential for a break. Help!

Attachments

• tank scratch-1.jpg
    tank scratch-1.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 76
  • tank scratch-2.jpg
    tank scratch-2.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Good news: I think I've managed to level the empty tank on the stand, using the board and shims.

Bad news: I accidently dropped a small resin decoration into my tank from about 10" high. It fell with a loud 'clunk'. Then I noticed what looks like 2 scratches on bottom of the tank, 3" and 1" long, deep enough that my nail can catch them.

Ugh. Have I just toasted my tank? Do I need to replace it? The scratches may have been made from gravel, as I did have gravel in for weight when trying to level it last week. It's a brand new tank, I can't believe I did this. I'm worried I may have created a weak point with potential for a break. Help!
Ahhh... That's exactly something tha at would happen to me. Sorry. It should be fine but you could buy some aquarium silicone, fill it in just to be safe.

I forgot to mention I work in a machine shop and I use scrap metal pieces. I’d rather level it from the bottom under the legs than under the tank, but that’s me.

I forgot to mention I work in a machine shop and I use scrap metal pieces. I’d rather level it from the bottom under the legs than under the tank, but that’s me.
Exactly right. Weight distribution on the tank itself is completely different between the two.

Hi Gilpi & King Fisher. Yes, I'm shimming underneath the stand. Are these enough or should I aim to fill in all the gaps? Here's where the level's at (empty tank). Do you think I should try to get the bubble closer to center or it's ok for a 20gallon? Also, what do you think of the scratches? Thanks

Attachments

• board & shims.jpg
    board & shims.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 109
  • level, back to front.jpg
    level, back to front.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 62
  • level, left to right.jpg
    level, left to right.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Personally, I think it's leveled good enough. If you wanted to get anal you could aim for dead center [emoji16]

Awesome! Thanks King Fisher. I want to start filling the tank soon to see what happens, if it changes as it settles. Any thoughts on the scratches?

It's not off enough to be noticeable. I'm positive none of my tanks are leveled dead center.

The scratches aren't cracks right? Someone mentioned using aquarium silicone to put in the scratch which is what I would do. It will be covered by substrate so it won't matter what it looks like. Best you can do is fill it and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom