is it possible to run a tank without a filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stop.alvin

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just seeing if you can just plunk down a piece of sponge (with bio media) into your tank to act as a filter
and this is a 5 gallon so can it work? I'm adding only 1 betta with live plants

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You need flow, what's the big picture here?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You need flow, what's the big picture here?

Is there a reason why I need flow?
And the tank will be a planted tank with driftwood.
I can also add those pothos plants to soak up some nitrates and be a decoration in my room and for the tank

Yes, flow.. without flow you'll have a stagnation plantation.. what's the plan?

Yes, flow.. without flow you'll have a stagnation plantation.. what's the plan?

I just want to cut off electric bills by a little bit, but my betta needs a home. It's just those bettas your friend surprises you with that you can't keep. But he's pretty so I want to keep the betta, but also not spending a lot on him

Another AA member has a small zero tech tank with nano fish, some shrimp, and plants. Checkout post #9 in T H I S thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It can be done with a small tank / container if planned correctly. Several years ago I accidently siphon some Least Killies into a water change bucket. I noticed about a week later and tossed in a little flake food. Just to see what would happen, I left them in there and went to a light feeding schedule. The bucket had about 6"-8" of water in it. After a month I added some gravel and a flower pot. They bred quickly, so I just harvested the fry and moved them to a tank to row out. I have the same bucket with a recent generation from the originals fish still reproducing in the same bucket. I tried it with Endlers to produce feeders, but it works to produce ood fish as well.

Back
Top Bottom