Is it possible to switch gravel???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After looking at my tank and wondering
why it's an eyesore (literally) I realized the gravel color doesn't suit me! I have natural colored pea gravel. I think it's actually prettier out of the tank, I wonder why I went ahead and used it....

Anyways, is it possible to switch out gravel in a planted tank? Or does it require the tank to be broken down?

I think I already know the answer but it's worth asking.... ;)

I've changed substrate numerous times. If heavily planted, I'm not sure. In the one tank where I have plants in eco-complete, I left that there and then covered with sand. It looks cool.

In the lightly planted tanks, I just removed the plants, changed substrate and replaced plants.

I assume changing the gravel might cause an ammonia spike by removing some of the biological filter? But changing the gravel a little at a time seems silly, especially if the gravel are two different colors! Mmm.

Thanks for your input!

I performed a 100% gravel change in my tank a couple of months ago. Other than cloudiness, there were no spikes in ammonia or nitrates.

I agree. I've changed it out completely in well established tanks with no change in my water params.

If you are worried about a mini cycle just after a 100% substrate change just leave a little bit of the original substrate Ina container of some kind in the tank. Make sure it has good waterflow through it. A mesh bag works best. I used a tiny laundry bag in one tank when I started it up with sand and put gravel from my established tank in it.

Back
Top Bottom