Is it really worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yodlem

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was just thinking. Is it worth it to go out and buy an Master Test Kit for Freshwater?

Like for example If I find out that the pH of the water is too high or something, wouldn't I have to go out and buy the solution that makes it lower?

If I keep finding things that are wrong with the tank, won't I eventually buy everything? (pH increaser, pH decreaser, alkalinity adjuster, etc)

Won't that end up costing so much more than my fish themselves?

TOTALLY worth it.

FWIW, stable pH is more important than "perfect" pH. The test kit will help determine your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels, which you really need to do to make sure your water is in check. I hardly ever check my pH.

I agree-you can get a kit for $12.99 online and it's very nice to have if your fish start acting odd, or just to check occasionally. Completely worth it.

I can't tell you how many times my FW master kit has solved problems before they became problems. If you aren't aware of something being off you can't fix it.

FWIW:

Your number one defense for a "bad" test (I.E. pH, KH, GH, NH3, NO2, NO3) is a water change, which costs nothing but the price of water, the cost of a bucket, and a length of hose. If you don't already have these things, then why are you keeping fish?

Also, you shouldn't add anything you don't "NEED" to. Don't adjust pH. Precision is far superior to accuracy in this case. My planted tank runs at 6.2 pH. I never adjust to raise it. My cichlids run at 8.0. Only thing I ever did to adjust it was add a few pieces of dead coral and some aragonite...when I set the tank up. Due to high CO2 content in my tap water, my pH out of the tap fluctuates wildly until I get it in the tank. Once the CO2 offgasses, it stays put.

KH, GH, etc...Unless you are keeping KH/GH sensitive fish (Discus, some cichlids), you shouldn't really need to worry about it. Most of the fish you get are already closely acclimated to a KH/GH shift (and likely a pH shift) from their naturaly environment at your LFS (which in most cases has water similar to yours).

Why are you concerning yourself with additives? Like I said, precision > accuracy.

That being said, if your fish are dying, I'd say 95% of the time, it is NH3, NO2 or NO3 related as far as testing goes (disease withholding). If you don't test for these (all part of the master test kit), then why bother? The fish will suffer, become immune weakened and suseptable to disease they could normally fight, and die. Without test kits, you will likely never know why, or how you can correct it (water change....your best defense against disease and death in fish). Likewise, you want to test pH and KH/GH so that you have a precision point, not an accuracy point.

These are the reasons you need a test kit. Not so that you can get accurate 7.0 pH.

Likewise, without knowing your levels of toxins and pH, you are more likely to spend money on snake oil, and medications to correct issues that you are guessing on. With a test kit, you can readily determine what the problem is if it is toxin related.

HTH explain why you need a master kit.

I know people here advocate 50% water changes weekly, but it really depends on your bioload in your tank. That's what I figured out with my tank. I actually only need to do a water change every 1.5 weeks with my current bioload, but I wouldn't have known that without my test kit. You may find out your fish need a water change every 4 days if you have a higher bioload, but the test kit is the only that that's going to tell you for sure.

Thank you!

My dad is sort of against buying this test kit b.c of it's price (which in my opinion isn't too much but it's apparently alot to him...) and the fact that my fish aren't expensive...

He had a salt water tank long ago, and has a saltwater test kit. He said that he bought it b.c he had very expensive fish (clown triggers, etc.) and it would've really been a bummer if they died b.c there was an imbalance in the water.

But that doesn't really matter to me whether they're 15 bucks or just 2 bucks.
but then again I did buy all those chemicals (Strees coat, water conditioner, etc.) So what gives...

I think i'll try to convince him some more if he's still against buying it.

Stress Coat is a water conditioner. And water conditioners are the ONLY chemicals I add to my tanks, because it is necessary.

You can argue to him that there is no price on life. There is no price on suffering.

YOu can buy these test kits for $13. And, like stated before, the test kit is more for knowledge of whats going on, rather than making you "need" to purchase additives.

I don't use any additives whatsoever, but with my test kit I know what's going and if something were to happen, it'd be what helped me get answers.

One thing I noticed is that my local fish store often guarantees their fish for 24 hours (it varies by fish). To get your money back or get a new fish, you have to bring in a water sample - they test it there, and if your water's bad (ammonia, nitrites, etc) they won't replace the fish because they figure you killed it with your bad water. If you KNOW your water's good before you buy each fish, you won't potentially be wasting that money, and if something DOES happen to the fish within the warranty period, you'll probably get your money back. All it takes is like 5 little cardinal tetras or whatever and you've paid for your testing kit... maybe that argument will help your dad see the monetary value of the kit? :)

Plus a test kit isn't something you use a couple times and it's out. The $13 really goes a long way.

Back
Top Bottom