Is it unethical to return fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy monkey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know sometimes fish should be returned when they're in the wrong sized tank, or if there's aggression issues, but what about if they're not what you thought they'd be?

I have 6 congo tetras, but they're all female so all quite dull in colour. The LFS have told me I can return them all for something else, or just return a few and buy more in the hope of getting males. There's no way to be sure I'd get males though since they're all young and not in the LFS long enough to develop colours.

Should I just stick with what I've got or take them back?

Other tank mates are 5 pearl danios (also a kinda dull colour but I've had them since last may so reluctant to return them) and a bn pleco. I just want a bit of colour in my tank, does that make me a bad fishy mum?

IMO there's nothing wrong with returning the fish. If they're not what you thought it's better to return instead of not enjoying your tank.

Thanks, I feel a bit mean taking them back when they've settled in just because of their colour, I might just leave them and try and find some new tank mates that are more colourful.

I'd love bosemani rainbows but think my tanks too small (43 us gallons). Possibly neon dwarf rainbow fish. I'm definitely gonna finish my stocking with a pair of peacock gudgeons. Will that final stocklist make my tank look more colourful or am I likely to still regret the congos?

I'd return them. No sense in having a tank you dint enjoy. That's how many people begin the downward slide of neglecting their tank. I've seen it happen.

not saying they are better going back to the LPS but no point in being unhappy with your tank, Good Luck!

Ok, seems its the lesser of 2 evils. Must admit my interest in the tank has dwindled a little recently. The LFS say they're getting new stock next Friday so so I guess I'll take them back then so I can replace them straight away.

Still feel like a terrible mother!

Ok, seems its the lesser of 2 evils. Must admit my interest in the tank has dwindled a little recently. The LFS say they're getting new stock next Friday so so I guess I'll take them back then so I can replace them straight away.

Still feel like a terrible mother!

I do it constantly lol

I don't think it's unethical to return fish especially if your interest in the tank is diminishing. Just don't go back to the LFS for a while after, I had to remove a bully angel fish and took him into my LFS, didn't go back for about 3 weeks so I wouldn't see him. I went back last night and he's still there :( he looks like he's doing good but I almost bought him again cause I felt awful haha

lol I felt horrible returning my common pleco. I had it for about 6 years and it went through a lot in my tank. But it was to the point where I wasn't interested in the tank anymore because I couldn't do anything that I really wanted (like have plants).

I did some research before returning him and even called the place to get some info on what they would do with him once I returned him.

I felt so bad :( I pet him a few times before leaving :lol:

I keep looking at them and apologising! I don't think I could do it to my bristlenose though, I've only had him a week and he's by far my favourite fish ever!

I'm not crazy about returning fish. IMO, I don't like to subject fish to the cruddy tanks at some LFS. As far as unethical, I don't think it is.

I don't think theres anything wrong with returning your fish, I just had to take my pearl gourami to my lfs had him for over a year he started bullying.

You could always give them away to a friend or someone else ifnyou know they take care of their tanks, so they don't have to go to the lfs.

Keeping cichlids sometimes will end up in many returns and purchases before you end up with a balanced tank. You will have your fish for many years if you look after your tank properly, so don't feel guilty about some returns to get your tank the way you want it. Once it's done you can stand back and say "there that is my fish stock for years to come, and I'm happy to sit and stare at them". It will keep your interest in the hobby instead of them being a chore and resenting them or the choice you made. That only leads to a tank you don't care about and horrible living conditions for the fish.

You could always give them away to a friend or someone else ifnyou know they take care of their tanks, so they don't have to go to the lfs.

This is why I would not post fish on CL. I just don't know what home they are going into. I know that I can ask for a pic of the tank or go deliver and check the tank myself, but If I was going to get rid,either sell,trade or give away for free. I would post on AA.

You really may want to give them some time. When I first received my congos I was so disappointed you could not even tell what kind of fish they were supposed to be. Completely colorless over the period of several months they have grown to be large BEAUTIFUL fish, you said they are still young it's probably too soon to even determine sex just by their colors, it really does take them s while to mature.

Back
Top Bottom