Is it wrong to want ANOTHER tank already???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK, first of all, my tank is only about 2 months old and is now moderately planted (not heavy by any means) and I am really starting to love it's look but have been thinking so much about a different kind of background and substrate and it has me wanting another tank just so I can do something different.

I already have most of the fish species that I want so I dont even know what else I would want or what size to get but I am working on getting a new tank in my kitchen when we remodel after the new year.

I was thinking that I would also like to have a nice place to put some of my angels if a pair forms in the 55gal. And perhaps give them a chance to form another pair if possible from the 6 that I got. The rest I will return to the LFS for credit.

I am thinking of a 30 gallon for size reasons or a tall variety if I find something larger that I love like a hex tank or corner tank or something like that. :)

Even if I save the money myself I am having a hard time justifying a whole new setup even though I have an old HOB filter, air pump, and heater that could work until I slowly upgrade them all :)

I realize of course I am posting to people who love this hobby :)

Any suggestions on min size for say a pair of angels???

No, it's not wrong. I'm two months into aquaria and I'm picking up my 55-gallon today. It's a disease, but the fun kind, not like herpes.

I am not a fan of "tall" tanks personally. 30g are good sizes, not sure about the pair of angels, but from just the 1 inch rule that should be ample.

Obviously, bigger the better (and easier) to maintain. If you got a 30 or larger I would encourage you to purchase a cannister filter like the XP3. Tons of media room and great flow. The larger Fluvals and Enhiems work wonders too.

Its not at all to soon to get another tank. I would think you may want to do something a bit differant from your first tank. Maybe think about a semi-aggressive tank, or just something to offer some new education or challange to your hobby.

Good luck!

Perfectly normal. A new tank can always be justified, you just need to use a little creative reasoning.

I keep a pair of angels in a 29. They lay eggs regularly and seem to be very happy fish.

I would just caution against a hex or corner tank if you want to go planted in the new one. Those shapes can be harder to light.

You could always try craigslist to pick up a used tank for pretty cheap. It may make justifying another set up easier.

No, it's not wrong. I'm two months into aquaria and I'm picking up my 55-gallon today. It's a disease, but the fun kind, not like herpes.
I often refer to plants and planted tanks as a disease. The people over at the plant forum gave it to me. Collectoritis is highly contagious. It's only a matter of time. :)

Creative reasoning, that's good. I'm not surprised you want another tank. Setting up one tank just makes you think of all the other stuff you'd like to do. I want a 120 gal semi-aggressive, but its just plain not going to happen. I think MTS is a fun disease too, though a little pricey.

At least you waited 2 whole months. I was 2 weeks into cycling my first tank and found a good deal on a used one. I was cycle 2 new tanks at the same time. Yep, MTS before the first tank was even cycled....

yea, within the first three months of getting my first tank, i bought 8 more. I have a problem. The only reason I stopped is because I ran out of room in my place. Once I get a bigger place though...well, lets just say i will be doing a lot of upgrading, and none of the old tanks will be going into storage. I have a plan for all of them :D

hsherman1986 said:
yea, within the first three months of getting my first tank, i bought 8 more. I have a problem. The only reason I stopped is because I ran out of room in my place. Once I get a bigger place though...well, lets just say i will be doing a lot of upgrading, and none of the old tanks will be going into storage. I have a plan for all of them :D

Do you have some pictures or descriptions of what you're doing with each one?

I now have 4 tanks since September and I'm picking up my biggest by far (75 gallon! currently only have 10gallon or small) on Monday and I can't wait. I'm picking up extra shifts at work so I'll have the money to buy everything needed to fill it up with water and get some fish in it!

Nik

you had to ask :D

55g: currently 7 clown loaches, 2 dojo loaches, and a rubberlip pleco. About to add firemouth cichlids and turn it into a SA Cichlid tank (all the loaches and pleco are staying though). Decorated with gravel with a white sand bed in the middle (the dojos love it, they bury themselves all the time), numerous rock caves, and a peice or driftwood as the centerpeice. Lightly planted (live plants)

20g: 6 yoyo loaches, a pair of GBR, and an otto. White sand substrate, driftwood as the centerpeice with nooks and crannys for the yoyos, moderatly planted (live plants)

20g: currently my tiger barb tank, with 4 cories, and a CAE. White sand substrate, rock caves in the back, moderatly planted (live plants).

10g: fry tank currently housing 12 guppy fry. gravel substrate, some floating anachris, and a melon sword that fills the tank.

10g: male guppy tank, currently housing 6 male guppies. Gravel substrate, rock caves, and some java fern

10g: 3 common goldfish, gravel substrate. This tank was really just thrown together to house the goldfish that my mother gave me. They will be upgraded once i get a bigger place.

5g: betta breeding tank

2.5g: 3 ghost shrimp, 1 female betta. White sand substrate, rock caves, no plants

2.5g: 1 male betta, MTS. Gravel substrate, and a fake valles.

No pictures though, don't have a digi cam.

lol... i'm one month into my first tank and i'm already perusing craigslist for another tank.

i TOTALLY can't afford it right now but i figure i could build the second one slowly. :)

my husband wants to lock me in a closet to keep me out of the LFS. :)

happygirl65 said:
I am thinking of a 30 gallon for size reasons or a tall variety if I find something larger that I love like a hex tank or corner tank or something like that. :)

Any suggestions on min size for say a pair of angels???

You're doing this all wrong. If you get a 30 gallon it will just lead to more tanks to take care of and raise the baby angelfish. You should be thinking more along the lines of 130 or even 230 gallons. Trust me, go big! Small tanks only lead to more MTS. GO BIG!!!!

docrak is absolutly right...well kinda...

my first tank was my 55, then i got smaller tanks from there....

hmm, sounds kinda like mts is inevitable either way lol.

My current one is a 55 also. I just dont think my small house can handle a larger tank right now. I do wish to have a 6 ft tank somewhere but will have to add more on to the house to accomodate it.

Unless someone has a creativ suggestion for a large tank in my kitchen with almost no usable wall space *too many doors/windows...it is the hub of the house.

Perhaps built into my planned island? footprint would be 6 x 3 feet and I will need at least 6x2 of that for storage...but perhaps on the back of the island? Of course then I would hav to ditch the breakfast bar idea.....hmmmm...I dont think that will fly.

Any creative solutions?

Yeah my first tank purchase came with two 55 gallon tanks, and a 1 gallon hex.
2 months later 5 gallon hex
1 year later got a 29 gallon
2 years later looking to get 120 to replace 55 gal I put in the wall
(need to find a new place to put 55 gallon currently in wall)
MY SON DOES HAVE BUNKBEDS!!!!!! No substrate, cichilds!!!! Can you say, night light above him!!!!

Just kidding!

well, i gotta admit. MTS is an infectious, but very healthy disease. It seems to afflict almost everyone who has a fish tank.
If you got the cash and room, not to mention a sturdy floor for anything bigger than the 55s, go for it. I would get big since ebay has tons of 55s at dirt cheap prices in my area, but I am afraid that if it leask in my apartment...o boy, then I may as well let my flat freeze over, move the furniture, turn the heat off, and charge people to ice skate in there!

Back
Top Bottom