Is my angelfish pregnant/ready to lay eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrf3995

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Her and her mate as pictured below have been super territorial she has been doing a lot of chasing and cleaning and recently has developed a bulge in her stomach

Attachments

• PicsArt_04-13-10.20.23.jpg
    PicsArt_04-13-10.20.23.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 443
Maybe soon but not yet IMO...
You will clearly see the vent hopefully vents of both when she is ready to lay.

Her and her mate as pictured below have been super territorial she has been doing a lot of chasing and cleaning and recently has developed a bulge in her stomach
She does look a bit gravid, but did she pair off with a specific male from a few others or did you just get a male and female? Not that it makes that much difference. She will give not only nudges to her mate when she's ready to spawn, but her body will release pheromones as well, causing him to nudge back.

She does look a bit gravid, but did she pair off with a specific male from a few others or did you just get a male and female? Not that it makes that much difference. She will give not only nudges to her mate when she's ready to spawn, but her body will release pheromones as well, causing him to nudge back.
The angels that I bred in the past bred several times and each time they chose the outside of a terra cotta clay pot that I had bought new for just that purpose. Such a thing is not necessarily. If you already have a rock or smooth ornament, that works too. If she can't find a more suitable spot, she could even stick them to the side of the tank. As soon as she spawns, get youself a knee high nylon stocking and rubber band it to the filter intake tube...don't want filter eating fry.

Yes the male seen next to her are mates I originally bought them from Incredible Pets near my house because they killed off every other fish the tank and they were trying to get rid of them and I just so happen to be looking for exactly that

Yes the male seen next to her are mates I originally bought them from Incredible Pets near my house because they killed off every other fish the tank and they were trying to get rid of them and I just so happen to be looking for exactly that
It can be difficult to tell if a female Angel is gravid. They are prone to be pigs sometimes...especially with treats. But if you are noticing her doing the cleaning behavior in just one particular place, there's a good possibility that she's getting close to spawning. But I've seen the behavior in the past and then stop. Every time my Angels and Discus spawned, it came as a surprise.

Back
Top Bottom