Is my aquarium overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dalordat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have a 55 gallon aquarium, with 2 heaters, and two filters. 1 filter is a Tetra Power advanced filtration 30-60. And the other is an aqua tech 10-15.
I have an air stone and I have Sand. No live plants, except for a small Java Fern. The tank I had the tank up for a good 5 months now. I do take care of my fish, so I feed sparingly, to not overfeed, change filter media when its old and clean out algea and water once a week. Just giving out some info on my aquairum, since Im new here. So hi everyone. Hope to post some pics of my aquarium later on. So my question is, is my aquarium overstocked? My fish are:
5 Tiger barbs
4 Gold barbs
3 Corys (albino)
1 Oto
6 Buenos Aires Tetras
6 Red minor Tetras (Serpea Tetras)
4 Colombian Tetras (Red Blue Tetras)
1 Blue gourami
1 Opaline gourami
Is this overstocked for a 55 gallon tank? Can I mantain it how it is with no ill effects to my fish. (the gouramis dont fight, they are a pair)
Thanks for any tips and help

the tank does not sound crowded to me, however it sounds like you need more filtration for the size of the tank and the bioload. iwould replace the 10-15 aqua tech with another filter that is rated for 50+ gallons, and keep the two filters on opposite ends of the tank.

that being said, i think your stocklist could be improved. tetras and barbs are both schooling fish. normally, they are only comfortable in groups about 6+. cory cats and oto cats are shoaling fish, and like to be in groups of 5+ as well.

do your gold and tiger barbs school together? is there any aggression? if they seem to school together and not show any signs of aggression, i would say your numbers of barbs are probably fine. same goes for your tetras, although instead of aggression with tetras you would probably more so see shyness.

i think that if you upgrade your filtration, you would be able to add 3 more corys and 5 or so more otos. i think they would be happier in those numbers.

also, about your filter media--don't change it unless it's falling apart. when it comes time to change it, take a chunk of the old filter media, and put it behind the new cartridge so water runs through the old media onto the new cartridge. this will seed the new filter media with the bacteria you need to keep the cycle alive (ammonia>nitrite>nitrate). if your filter media gets dirty and you feel the need to clean it, just pull it out during a PWC, put it into a bucket of old tank water (VERY important not to do this with water straight from the tap) and give it a good swishing/scrunching/ringing. whatever you need to do to remove the gunk. this will not remove any of your good bacteria, but it will allow you to use your filter cartridges for much longer.

I don't think you are overstocked. You just need more LIVE PLANTS!! :)

Welcome to AA, and post some pics of your tank when you get a chance.

the tank does not sound crowded to me, however it sounds like you need more filtration for the size of the tank and the bioload. iwould replace the 10-15 aqua tech with another filter that is rated for 50+ gallons, and keep the two filters on opposite ends of the tank.

that being said, i think your stocklist could be improved. tetras and barbs are both schooling fish. normally, they are only comfortable in groups about 6+. cory cats and oto cats are shoaling fish, and like to be in groups of 5+ as well.

do your gold and tiger barbs school together? is there any aggression? if they seem to school together and not show any signs of aggression, i would say your numbers of barbs are probably fine. same goes for your tetras, although instead of aggression with tetras you would probably more so see shyness.

i think that if you upgrade your filtration, you would be able to add 3 more corys and 5 or so more otos. i think they would be happier in those numbers.

also, about your filter media--don't change it unless it's falling apart. when it comes time to change it, take a chunk of the old filter media, and put it behind the new cartridge so water runs through the old media onto the new cartridge. this will seed the new filter media with the bacteria you need to keep the cycle alive (ammonia>nitrite>nitrate). if your filter media gets dirty and you feel the need to clean it, just pull it out during a PWC, put it into a bucket of old tank water (VERY important not to do this with water straight from the tap) and give it a good swishing/scrunching/ringing. whatever you need to do to remove the gunk. this will not remove any of your good bacteria, but it will allow you to use your filter cartridges for much longer.

Thanks for all the informative tips!
I do have a AquaClear 300 (now called Hagen AquaClear 70) for 40 to 70 gallons. Will that one do? I just did not put it on my aquarium because I though it was to much filtration.
The barbs actually do hang out together, even the tetras pair up with my barbs. They all like to be around themselves like a big family! Except the Gouramis and COrys, they hang out only with their own. I might get a couple of otos and 2 more Corys.
So you are saying that just because the filter box says the filters are supposed to be renewed in like 2 weeks is a lie? So I can just scrub off the nasty stuff and re-use it? SWEET! Thanks for letting me know. Oh, and how would I clean the BioFiber?

I don't think you are overstocked. You just need more LIVE PLANTS!! :)

Welcome to AA, and post some pics of your tank when you get a chance.

Thanks for helping me out. What kind of plants would you recommend for a newbie in aquarium plants? I just got the Java Fern because I was told it was easy to take care of, not so much light needed. I really love the moss I see in stores, but dont know if its easy to take care off. Thanks!!

Thanks for all the informative tips!
I do have a AquaClear 300 (now called Hagen AquaClear 70) for 40 to 70 gallons. Will that one do? I just did not put it on my aquarium because I though it was to much filtration.?

use the AquaClear in conjunction with the Tetra Power (one on either end of the tank). it won't be too much filtration, just make sure the water current they create is not too strong for the fish. it should be fine.

The barbs actually do hang out together, even the tetras pair up with my barbs. They all like to be around themselves like a big family! Except the Gouramis and COrys, they hang out only with their own. I might get a couple of otos and 2 more Corys.

good idea, i would say keep each the otos and the corys in shoals of 6+

So you are saying that just because the filter box says the filters are supposed to be renewed in like 2 weeks is a lie? So I can just scrub off the nasty stuff and re-use it? SWEET! Thanks for letting me know. Oh, and how would I clean the BioFiber?

it is a LIE!!!! :biglol: they only say this to sell more filter cartridges. just scrub all the gunk off (make sure you do this in old tank water!!!!) and you can just wring out the filter fiber in the old Atank water as well. squeeze it, mash it, wring it, whatever you gotta do to get the crud out. don't replace your cartridges unless they are falling apart (even then i've kept mine and made them work lol)

During a partial water change take some water from your tank and clean in the aquarium water. Don't clean them to much there is alot of much needed bacteria in the filter media that your tank needs to cycle. You should however be replacing the top layer (first section) of filter media, by that I meant the piece that catches most of the excess food etc once every 2 weeks minimum.

it is a LIE!!!! :biglol: they only say this to sell more filter cartridges. just scrub all the gunk off (make sure you do this in old tank water!!!!) and you can just wring out the filter fiber in the old Atank water as well. squeeze it, mash it, wring it, whatever you gotta do to get the crud out. don't replace your cartridges unless they are falling apart (even then i've kept mine and made them work lol)

Completely agree. The less you replace them, the better.

Back
Top Bottom