Is My Betta Happy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lardeelion

Aquarium Advice Freak
Morning, all.

I haven't had a lot of experience with bettas in the past, aside from doing what everybody does when they first get a betta - stick it in a bowl where it eventually dies. Since then, I've smartened up about fish and had my 55 gallon, and other tanks, for almost 10 years. Haven't had a betta, though.

Anyway, I am cycling the Petco 6.6 bookshelf and was going to put a betta in it. Way before the cycle was complete, I fell in love with a little guy at the store and bought him because he was the betta of my dreams. I brought him home and put him in my community 55 gallon in a large netted breeder basket up in the corner where he was safe, and gave him some water sprite to hide under. He kept escaping though, so I finally just let him swim free.

Nobody bothers him in the tank. He doesn't flare at anybody. He spends at least 50% of his time swimming around, and the remainder lurking under plants or around the heater or pipes. No fin nipping from him or on him. My question is, for you experienced betta folks, is he happy? I make sure he gets fed and has hiding spots. The 6.6 is almost ready to go, but my son has a betta of his own who is rather anti-social and would benefit from living alone. (My son calls him "Jerkface" for a reason. Putting him with other fish was a long shot at best that didn't work out. I've got a tank divider coming in the mail.)

I haven't had a betta in years and have never had one in a community tank, so I want to be sure he is "happy" if I'm going to consider leaving him in the big tank. Are there any indicators of a miserable betta that I should be aware of?

Thanks, betta lovers.

If he is swimming around without being bothered and not hiding all the time, I would think he is happy and is going to do fine in the community tank.

Is there anywhere for him to rest out of the current? How thick are your floating plants? Does he use any hidey-holes or a floating log perhaps?

I think may work out, and if he is young maybe he will just get used to the other fish and live in peace. Look out for adolescent outbursts of violent Or miscreant behavior, you never know. :)

Signs of a stressed Betta include pale coloration and vertical striping, among other signs.

My floating plants are relatively sparse at the moment, but they tend to gather in corners out of the current and he'll follow them, or lurk behind the outflow. I do think the current at the surface is just a little strong. I'm on the hunt for a floating log or a thicker plant. I made him several caves but so far he hasn't shown any interest in lurking in them. I guess, so far so good. I've got a backup plan though. It's fascinating how he's so passive and my son's betta is such a brawler.

Yep my little man parks on the suction cup behind the heater and filter sometimes, but he loves sleeping in Brazilian pennywort or on his Betta hammock (plastic leaf on suction cup just below surface).. He rarely rests near the bottom or in caves.

Sounds to me like he's a happy camper & I'd leave him be. My crown tail LOVES to rest on the top suction cup behind the heater or behind the outflow of the HOB. He has other peaceful spots that he uses but those two for some reason are his favorites. I think you've done a good job setting it up for him, you'll know without a doubt if he's stressed.

Good to know my betta isn't the only one in love with the heater. Mine starts by swimming circles around it then darting across the back into the incoming water from the filter and let's himself be pushed down then he swims over to the heater and starts the process again, but will also rest on the suction cups as well

Tonight I saw something unique, I added wisteria on Friday, tonight while I was watching the tank our betta swam straight to me then nose down towards the bottom almost looking like he was caught on the wisteria but he wasn't stayed there for a min then proceeded to swim away with the tetras

He is a little strange our betta

Mine is also entranced, seemingly, by the wisteria. Weird.

I picked him up a floating log. He's napping in it. :D Thanks for that suggestion!

Good to know my betta isn't the only one in love with the heater. Mine starts by swimming circles around it then darting across the back into the incoming water from the filter and let's himself be pushed down then he swims over to the heater and starts the process again, but will also rest on the suction cups as well

Tonight I saw something unique, I added wisteria on Friday, tonight while I was watching the tank our betta swam straight to me then nose down towards the bottom almost looking like he was caught on the wisteria but he wasn't stayed there for a min then proceeded to swim away with the tetras

He is a little strange our betta

I'm glad to know too. My betta does the same thing. He is obsessed with his heater too.

Back
Top Bottom