Is my betta sick or just stressed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxDriftingAway

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Should I be worried?

uploadfromtaptalk1433887142531.jpguploadfromtaptalk1433887216925.jpguploadfromtaptalk1433887282337.jpg

I have a tank or 5 female bettas 1 pleco and 1 snail. I just got 3 bettas and the snail today and added them but forgot to treat the water until Julia looked like that. Then I picked up the conditioner and treated it. She is older than my other. New bettas but younger than my oldest betta. I've been slowly working up to this point. I'm not getting anymore fish after this as my 20 gallon is perfect right now.

Should I be worried about Julia?

I could be wrong, but it looks like she may be developing dropsy :(

I hope someone with more experience will be able to reply. We lost our first fish, a sweet male betta that we loved dearly, to dropsy. The bloating looks like what I first noticed on our fish before we knew he had it. Essentially there is no cure. I researched the heck out of it. I truly hope she does not have this.

She's beautiful :)

I could be wrong, but it looks like she may be developing dropsy :(

I hope someone with more experience will be able to reply. We lost our first fish, a sweet male betta that I loved dearly, to dropsy. The bloating looks like what I first noticed on our fish before we knew he had it. Essentially there is no cure. I researched the heck out of it. I truly hope she does not have this.

She's beautiful :)
Yeah that's what I thought. Then I realized I have been really REALLY overfeeding my bettas cause I was trying to feed my pleco. Bad me. I'm not going to feed them for 2 or 3 days and hopefully it will go down.

She is pretty. Thank you.

I sure hope it is from overfeeding. Our female gorged on some brine shrimp a while back because we didn't know how much we were feeding her (hard to gauge frozen food!) and we sucked some out and didn't feed her for two days and she was ok. She was definitely bloated.

It does look more like dropsy but I really hope that it's just from eating too much.

You're very welcome :)

I sure hope it is from overfeeding. Our female gorged on some brine shrimp a while back because we didn't know how much we were feeding her (hard to gauge frozen food!) and we sucked some out and didn't feed her for two days and she was ok. She bloated quite a bit.

It does look more like dropsy but I really hope that it's just from eating too much.

You're very welcome :)
Me too. I really don't want my other fish to get it if she does....though idk how she got it other than from adding water to the tank cause the tank is clear as day. Never had algea problems...ever.

Yeah I'd be concerned about that too. Dropsy is not a disease, persay, but more of a symptom of an unknown infection. I did a lot of research on it and no one knows what causes it and only in a few cases have the fish survived. It's not necessarily "catch-able" either; depending on what is causing the symptom of dropsy.

My little guy never acted weird either.

I think it may have gone down a bit, but it's hard to tell.

Keep us posted!

She is normal again! Lost my snail but ehh I'll just see if I can take him back to pet smart on Saturday. He is out of my tank for now to prevent any other sickness.

As far as Julia goes she is 100% better

That is fantastic news, I am really happy to hear that!!!

Sorry you lost a snail :( How long did you have him?

Bettas will over eat to the point of killing themselves, rather like people. Cut down on food. She also is probably a bit stressed by the addition of the new fish. Sounds like a lot of fish added at one time.

Back
Top Bottom