is my black ghost knife sick or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iloverover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my black ghost knife is laying on the bottom and taking big breaths. is he sick????? im really worried he my favorite fish. could this mean hes sick???? please help

sounds like something is up to me? how long has the tank been running? how big is it? was it cycled? and what are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrite and nitrates).... i know its a lot of questions but they will all help determine what may be wrong with your fish :) let us know

its has been running for 5 weeks and it is 55 gallons. It was cycled. ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and my nitrates 10ppm. it says 40ppm and below for nitrates it fine for freshwater tanks

okay so levels are fine. Any other tank mates? what kind of filter do you have. In my experience, heavy breathing is usually from high ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. Or from low oxygen in the water. are you testing the water with an api master kit? or strips?

Also i may advise that depending on how large the BGK is, 55 may be too small, especially when he gets older. For now it may be okay though

api mast kit and I have striped ralpheal, dwarf gourami, rainbow shark, the striped ralpheal is always in the log with him but they are really good friends. the rainbow shark bothers him a little but usually he pushes him out of his log. and the gourami show no interest

okay well clearly your fish is sick and you are being dishonest about its actual size....as i did some reading into your posts and found this: "have a black ghost knife and a 55 gallon if fine for a BGK because usually in captivity they only get around 16inch i have one that is 10inches in with a dwarf gourami, 4 angel fish, 2 african leaf fish, 1 rainbow shark, and a striped raphael.".....So this tank is hugely overstocked and is absolutely why your BGK is sick. He is 10 inches and in a 55 gallon which is small for even just him. Some of the fish need to be rehomed. Feel bad for your fish but if you want help on this website, be honest about your tank and your fish. Poor guys.

iloverover said:
my black ghost knife is laying on the bottom and taking big breaths. is he sick????? im really worried he my favorite fish. could this mean hes sick???? please help

Can I ask what you feed him and whether he has any signs of injury?

Can I ask if you cycled the tank with the ghost knife in it?

Few questions OP

1. What size tank is it?

2. What is the stock?

3. What are the water Params?

4. When did you first notice this behaviour?

5. Has the fish got an visible injuries?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have removed off topic and offensive posts. Please keep any personal attacks out of the forum. If you find something offensive, use the report post button.

In the end, we cannot force anyone to take advice. The best thing to do is offer an opinion, and move on. It is up to every individual on what advice they want to take/follow.

Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom