Is my cycle complete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Trooper

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think my cycle completed today, and i'd like to know what to do moving forward to ensure my BB stays alive over the festive period...

Tests went from this last night:

To this tonight:

Would you say my tank is now cycled and if so how much ammonia should i add daily to make sure my bacteria stays alive?

I am aware i need to do a huge 90% w/c before fish.

Thanks guys, i'm excited! :fish1:

9 rasbora, 1 plec, and 3 cories? Do i dose to 4ppm and wait til that clears to nitrates in 24hrs, knowing then it is ready for wc night before i add fish?

If I were you, I'd fill up as close to the 5ml line as possible to ensure accurate results (Unless you're measuring with a syringe and appropriate amounts of test solution). Seems like it cleared up extremely fast in just one day, I'd maybe give it a couple more days just to be safe.

I am using a 10ml surgical syringe, i will re test later this evening to be doubley sure, if all is well what from therE?

Do your 90% water change and then wait a couple of hours, then do your test. If your nitrates are low (should be) and your Ammonia/Nitrites are still at zero, pop them on in there :)

Fish wont be added for a few days, want to get christmas out the way. What would you suggest in the intermediary period?

I'd agree with Thumper828, give a dose of 4ppm/5ppm after your 90% water change. Test it daily, see how long it takes you to get 0ppm. If it clears up within about 24 hours or so I'd say you're set. I'd personally do another 15-25% water change before you add in the fish too :)

I'd agree with Thumper828, give a dose of 4ppm/5ppm after your 90% water change. Test it daily, see how long it takes you to get 0ppm. If it clears up within about 24 hours or so I'd say you're set. I'd personally do another 15-25% water change before you add in the fish too :)

Forget the first water change as nitrates at these sort of levels will have little effect on your cycle. Add some ammonia for christmas time and then after xmas when youre ready and your readings are tight do the 90% before adding the fish.

My plan is as follows, i am sorry for all the questions (maybe even repeated ones, but thanks for your help!).

Tomorrow afternoon i am going to do an 80-90% wc on tank, test it tomorrow evening to check nitrates and then stock it on Saturday.

I have added some more ammonia tonight, around 2-3ppm ish.

Will this work out ok?

My plan is as follows, i am sorry for all the questions (maybe even repeated ones, but thanks for your help!).

Tomorrow afternoon i am going to do an 80-90% wc on tank, test it tomorrow evening to check nitrates and then stock it on Saturday.

I have added some more ammonia tonight, around 2-3ppm ish.

Will this work out ok?

Sounds good :)

Quick suggestion...call the place where you are goin to buy your fish and check when they get their delivery. Try to avoid getting fish that were delivered within the past couple of days. It seems to really stress them. They need to have been at the fish store for preferably 3 days. Best of luck.

I would do the biggest WC you can manage, just don't vacuum the gravel or wash anything. Bacteria doesn't live in the water column, so you just want to take out all the nitrates possible before stocking.
After our fishless cycle I took out every drop I could manage without disturbing the gravel, it was like a 90% WC for sure

I would do the biggest WC you can manage, just don't vacuum the gravel or wash anything. Bacteria doesn't live in the water column, so you just want to take out all the nitrates possible before stocking.
After our fishless cycle I took out every drop I could manage without disturbing the gravel, it was like a 90% WC for sure

I probably done a good 80%. Hopefully that will do.. If not I'll just do another 50% or something. I'm just terrified that I may have decycled the tank :lol:

LFS gets stock on Wednesday's

Doing a water change won't decycle the tank, as the bacteria that you need doesn't free-float around the water; it attaches itself to surfaces.

Back
Top Bottom