is my cycle finished?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeremyblevins

Aquarium Advice Freak
so tonight is the second night in a row with 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and my nitrates are somewhere in the 10~20 range? how much longer should i wait to know that i'm cycled?

Are you fishless cycling? If so, dose the tank with 4ppm of ammonia and wait twenty-four hours. If the tank converts that ammonia completely to nitrates in that time period, your tank is finished cycling. Do a large PWC and go get some fish!

In that case, you could do a PWC to reduce the nitrate level, measure ammonia, nitrite, nitrate immediately afterwards, then measure again in a few days. You should see zero ammonia, zero nitrite, and an increase in nitrate.

Unless you're doing constant PWCs, you'll have some level of nitrates. I try to keep my nitrate levels below 20ppm even though I have some plants that are real nitrate sponges.

okay ill due a water change in the morning how much would you suggest 50 or 25? i also have diatoms everywhere in my tank so i could use the time to scrub the glass.

and i just checked everything and i have 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 5 ppm nitrates... so my nitrates went down. i just recently started using co2 so maybe my plants are using it rapidly?

It is unlikely plants could consume 5ppm in a day though... are you shaking bottle #2 for 30 seconds like in the directions? :lol: I guess you haven't done a water change yet so I am intrigued by that nitrate reading.

However if your tank stocked with the gourami is reading 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites for a week I'd say you are cycled :) I would then wait two weeks to add more fish.

i have yet to a water change since start the aquarium. i used safe start so i just monitored all the readings and they never got out of hand so i just let it run it's course. yes i have done the nitrate test many times i sigh every time i have too haha. the nitrates colors are kinda close but i can easly tell the 5 ppm from the 10 ppm but the 10 and 20 looks almost identical impossible for me to tell from the test tube.

yup just did the nitrate test again a very light orange no denying it and it was definitely in the 10~20 range yesterday well two days ago now haha

okay just did my water change wiped off all the diatoms on the glass that i could get too and my readings are 0 ppm ammonia 0 ppm nitrite on <5 ppm nitrate just a hint of orange.

Back
Top Bottom