is my dresser big enough to set a 56 gal tank on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mle421

Aquarium Advice Freak
i was planning on getting a 56 gal tank for christmas, when my mother reminded me that a 56 gal tank would weigh about 560 lbs. she's concerned about whether my dresser is able to support that kind of weight. so i thought i'd ask everyone here for their opinions. my dresser is 4 feet wide, 2.5 feet high and 2 feet deep. it was my grandmothers and is made out of solid wood (no particle board) i'll try and attach a picture. (pay no attention to the condition of my room :wink: it's a mess)

Now that you know the measurements of the dresser...add the measurements of the tank. Stand back and get a clear picture of what you're proposing and you just may answer your own question.

Well, the water inside the tank itself already weight like 504pounds, not counting the weight of the tank, the decor and so on, think your dresser can handle that much weight??

It looks like a very nice dresser, personally I wouldn't put any tank on it. Structurally speaking, I wouldn't put a tank of that size on it anyways. There just isn't any support in the front of the dresser. I think that you will find that the top will bow until it hits the drawers and make it impossible to open them. Sorry for the bad news but I recommend that you get an aquarium stand for your new tank.

That's a lot of weight for a dresser that is not really designed for it. The small spindle legs on the dresser, I think, are the weakest point. If you go look at any commercial stands, you'll find hefty legs or solid supports on the sides, plus a set of legs in the middle.

I personally will not use that dresser, not only will I worry about it collapsing (or at the very least going out of square - which might cause your tank to crack), the water from the tank (there will always be spills!) will ruin the finish in short order.

rats. ok. thanks for the help. now i have to figure out here i'm gonna put a stand in my bed room! it's already packed to capacity!

I wouldn't do it just because it's a sweet dresser. :) They just don't make stuff like they used to. *sigh*

-j

well, you can always built your own dresser :) with 2x4 wood, replacing that dresser and you wouldn't have to worry about space :)

How about cinderblocks with 2x12's on top and cover it with material that matches your room. We had a 90 gallon set up this way. Three blocks tall(24"), 2 stacks deep, one set on each end and one set in the middle. Works good last long time.

Just save some more money for a decent aquarium stand, you will be better off in the long run, and you KNOW it can hold your aquariums weight.
I've had the same idea.....and it ended bad. I took a table, which looked real sturdy, ancient model like your dresser. It couldn't support the weigt and bended. This put too much pressure on one point in the glass and the bottom of my tank cracked completely.

So buy a decent stand, it's worth it.
:D
HTH

yeah, i'm gonna have to buy a stand. the thought of my dresser getting ruined is too aweful to bear. it matches my bed, my vanity, and my larger dresser. they were all my great grandmothers, she gave birth to 4 sets of twins in that bed! so risking my dresser is out of the question. i'll just save up and buy a stand. Thanks for all your help everyone! i would have been so upset if i had just tried it and ended up ruining my furniture! i'm so glad this site is here and eveyone is so helpful and so quick to respond! thanks a ton!

I would NOT use that dresser for a 56 gal tank - MAYBE a 10 gal, but nothing larger. I'm sure that the dresser can support the weight - vertical stress is rarely a problem with well-built furniture. However, if it got bumped, or even if you shut a drawer a bit too hard, the horizontal stress may be enough to snap off a leg and....well, you'd have quite a puddle and alot of broken glass to clean up. Get an aquarium stand made for the size tank you want - it's a good investment.

Besides, that's a really nice dresser and it would be a shame to have to explain how all those water stains got there if you ever decide to show it on Antiques Roadshow. :wink:

I also would like to add that it might be a good idea to make sure whatever you use is level since you plan on having that size tank. I had a really bad experience with stress on one side of my 55 gallon on a stand that was not level.

On another note, are you sure you want a tank in your bedroom?! IME that's a BAD idea. Tanks are noisy, and for me I need complete silence to get to sleep. We were always turning the filters and stuff off at night in order to get to sleep. If you can keep the tank outside of your room do it. This is a huge commitment and once it's setup in your room you can't just easily move a 56 gallon tank.

thanks, but i love noise while i sleep! oddly enough! i fall asleep on the phone every night while my boyfriend talks to me. i can't fall asleep wihtout noise of some sort. and if i can't talk to him at night, i turn on a bunch of fans and a cd to get me to sleep! i can't sleep without white noise! so a tank in my bedroom isn't a problem when it comes to getting to sleep ;)

I have 2 tanks in my bedroom and it's okey to me. You get used to the noise. Even that of water running.....i had to get up each night to, you know..........when they were set up in my room first. I love being able to watch my fishies while in bed :lol:

I'd really really not put a tank on that. aside from the hundreds of pounds of strain the tank will put on the dresser, you also have to worry about lateral pressures affecting the stability of the dresser and the tank. I'd be terrified to open and close the drawers with something that heavy on top. such a big tank is also a big investment, you probably dont want it to come crashing down.. :|
good luck though!

Back
Top Bottom