Is my fishless cycling completed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OubaOuba

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and to the hobby :)

I followed eco23's guide step by step for my brand new 15g tank. Great stuff, really.

I'm reaching the end of my fishless cycling, after 28 days of daily care... or, am I there yet?

I'm adding ammonia up to 4ppm every night.
It's been 2 days that I see no trace of ammonia and nitrite after 24h, only nitrates! Yeah!

Based on eco23's guide, my cycle is now finished.

But I see some other guides saying that my cycle should process both ammonia and nitrite within 12h to be considered completed.

Though when I check my tank in the morning after 12h, my ammonia is 0 but my nitrite is still high (2-5ppm).

So, can I start adding my fish now (after a big water change obviously) or should I wait for my cycle to process both ammonia and nitrite in 12 hours instead of 24?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and to the hobby :)

I followed eco23's guide step by step for my brand new 15g tank. Great stuff, really.

I'm reaching the end of my fishless cycling, after 28 days of daily care... or, am I there yet?

I'm adding ammonia up to 4ppm every night.
It's been 2 days that I see no trace of ammonia and nitrite after 24h, only nitrates! Yeah!

Based on eco23's guide, my cycle is now finished.

But I see some other guides saying that my cycle should process both ammonia and nitrite within 12h to be considered completed.

Though when I check my tank in the morning after 12h, my ammonia is 0 but my nitrite is still high (2-5ppm).

So, can I start adding my fish now (after a big water change obviously) or should I wait for my cycle to process both ammonia and nitrite in 12 hours instead of 24?

Thanks!

I added over half my 20 gallon tank's stock to the tank when it was processing 4ppm in 24 hours but not 12. You should be fine; 4ppm is a ton of ammonia at once.

Which is to say, yes, your tank is perfectly cycled.

4ppm is way way beyond the levels of ammonia created by a tank load of fish in a day. You are safe :)

Congrats on getting your tank fish less cycled in 28 days. Others should take heart as there are still, in my humble opinion, too many people going down the fish-in cycle path.
Enjoy your fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Congratulations, I could have saved you 20 days and cycled in 8, but your there now enjoy it.........

Congrats! Now for the fun part :)
Congratulations, I could have saved you 20 days and cycled in 8, but your there now enjoy it.........
Yeah, but not everyone wants to introduce diseases into their tank from the lfs. 8 days of cycling and weeks of treating diseases... sounds like a blast to me!

You know that's complete rubbish M; I have never had a disease from FB, you do it your way, and I "will" do it my way........

Then you hit the jackpot with your choice of lfs because thats definitely not typical.

Take a look at my LFS, do you think they would let a bacterial disease in this lot..........
Tropical Fish Department
Like I said earlier, looks like you hit the jackpot with lfs. The overwhelming majority of people dont have access to a nice one. Even from that lfs I wouldnt be caught dead buying a salt water fish without quarantine first.

Congrats! Now for the fun part :)

Yeah, but not everyone wants to introduce diseases into their tank from the lfs. 8 days of cycling and weeks of treating diseases... sounds like a blast to me!

Couldn't agree more !!! I'll sit back and take my time over stressing about unhealthy fish. There's always a cycled tank I could do a WC on in my place.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

I guess, my goal was not to put my fish in in record time, but rather to take the time to understand how the nitrogen cycle process works from scratch. It's really fascinating to see the tank building its own bio-filter over time, literally out of the fresh air.

Time is money, but learning is priceless.
In other words, I wouldn't trade this for 20 days, even a hundred. :fish2:

Congrats!
The cool thing is that the next setup* can be jump started from your own BB supply (which was Ricky's intent but just a different source). That's what I did (took 9 days).

* Didn't you hear? You can't eat just one chip.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom