Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Is my guppy pregnant/going into labor or sick?

Hi, I have a 10 gallon tank with 2 female guppies and 3 ghost shrimp. Both of the females are pregnant from purchase. My tank has cycled and my ammonia and nitrite are 0, my nitrate levels are 20 ppm.

The guppy that I'm worried about is, according to its appearance, further along in its pregnancy. It usually hangs near the live plants at the surface and now it's sitting on the bottom. None of its fins are clamped and it is gulping rapidly. The other female tries to swim near the bottom-sitting guppy but it gets bored and swims away. I have seen the other female also nip at the bottom-sitting female. Is it stressed from the pregnancy? What should I do? Thanks!

Old 02-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I, personally, would double-check the water parameters, and if they are normal, I would look forward to having some baby guppies soon!

With the fin-nipping problem, I would invest in a plastic breeder trap for a few bucks at your local LFS.

Who say's that you can't have more than one tank? Just get one more... just one...
phoenixkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

ok thank you!
Old 02-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

No problem. Keep me posted!

Who say's that you can't have more than one tank? Just get one more... just one...
phoenixkiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guppy, ick, pregnant, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com