Is my molly female or male

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamie1234

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was told it was a male but appears pregnant... also what type is it, i am calling it a golden lyretail if that's a thing ... Image1493931705.336048.jpg

I can't see his/her anal fin, as there's another fish photobombing... :lol:
Here's some information that might help you.
"Molly (poecilia latipinna) – this type of livebearers need more observation than the other livebearers. The common male Mollies have a colorful tail (like bluish or greenish color) having a larger dorsal fin, and is usually thinner (viewed from top) than the females. Generally, the best observations are focused on their “gonopodium” or what we called the modified anal fin. It is a tube-like fin at the lower backside next to the belly of the fish."

Attachments

• IMG_2315.JPG
    IMG_2315.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 36
I can't see his/her anal fin, as there's another fish photobombing... :lol:

Here's some information that might help you.

"Molly (poecilia latipinna) – this type of livebearers need more observation than the other livebearers. The common male Mollies have a colorful tail (like bluish or greenish color) having a larger dorsal fin, and is usually thinner (viewed from top) than the females. Generally, the best observations are focused on their “gonopodium” or what we called the modified anal fin. It is a tube-like fin at the lower backside next to the belly of the fish."

Thanks a lot, it's so strange because it looks male but then has a swollen belly almost

He could just be constipated. Try feeding him a cooked, deshelled pea to help in case that's what's going on.
Hopefully that will help. :)

?? that little bugger is blocking that fin pretty well..

Back
Top Bottom