Is my RCS pregnant? Also another question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sockfootfrank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ill restate my question lol, is my red cherry shrimp pregnant?? Also can anyone tell me what kind of shrimp this is is my second picture? It is not entirely red so I am confused!!

Attachments

• image-2399964367.jpg
    image-2399964367.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 75
  • image-2561737037.jpg
    image-2561737037.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 88
  • image-3983967807.jpg
    image-3983967807.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 70
RCS get berried, not pregnant. It might be getting ready to carry the eggs, idk, I got a couple that look very similar. The middle picture could be another RCS getting ready to molt.

That middle picture is of a Red Rili Shrimp. Red Rili and Cherry are both color morphs the same shrimp species (Neocaridina heteropoda). They usually try to keep shrimps like Red Rili and Red Cherry out of the same tanks together as interbreeding between the two can cause you to lose that nice red color.

Ill restate my question lol, is my red cherry shrimp pregnant?? Also can anyone tell me what kind of shrimp this is is my second picture? It is not entirely red so I am confused!!

RCS get berried when they are 'pregnant' and they will continuously move the eggs around in their belly cleaning them until they are ready to hatch in which case they will release them just before. Your RCS is saddled, which means the eggs are still in the ovaries and kind of look like a horses saddle on their back. The female will molt and after that the male RCS will go crazy looking for her. Once they are fertilized they will move down to the stomach area.

Here are my shrimp when she was berried:
IMG_0123.jpgIMG_0136.jpg
76045-albums11813-picture53146.jpg

Back
Top Bottom