Is My Snail Sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crouton_cc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My snail has been pretty anti-social over the past few weeks. He stays inside his castle and doesn't come out, not even to find food. I had to pick up the castle and move it to take a picture of him. This all started when I cleaned the aquarium. At the same time I gave him a brush with a toothbrush to remove all the algae on him.

Does he look OK? I noticed the point on his shell is starting to get lighter in color (pinkish?). See for youself.

I feed him 2-3 times a week, one leaf off a brussel sprout, or a thin slice of carrot. He is living in a 3g aquarium with a Betta (the Betta ignors the snail).

I have attached two pictures.

December13:
619155889.jpg

January 7th:
619155851.jpg

I have never had the need to test my water, I will go buy some equipment to get numbers to you tomorrow, but for now the temp ranges from the mid to high 70's, lower at night, higher during the day.

But does he look ok?

If he's been inactive all that time between the two pics were taken, then he's probably not doing too well. His new shell growth is actually looking pretty good. The old growth looks like its deteriorating a little bit. Is he getting enough calcium? When you get your water tested, check your water hardness as well.

How often do you do PWC? A lot of times they'll perk up after a water change. Or did you clean more than usual right before this happened? Maybe your tank went through a mini cycle that upset him. Gotta test your water!

Just got my water tested:

Ph - 7.7
Nitrate/Nitrite - Low
Ammonia - 0.1
Ca - approx 2.5mg/L

I did my last PWC 3 weeks ago, at the same time I cleaned all the algea from my aquarium.

Also, he hasn't been in active all that time, but he has been abnormally inactive (even for a snail).

You should do water changes more often. You want your ammonia and nitrites to be at 0. Small amounts of either are toxic to fish and other aquarium inhabitants. Some are more hardy than others, but doesn't mean they shouldn't have cleaner water. Nitrates can be handled in larger quantities, but water changes should be done more often than that, especially if you have any levels of ammonia and nitrites. How large is the tank and what else is in the tank?

PWCs every weekend is not sufficient for a non cycled tank, which this obviously is.

Please go the articles section and read the articles on the Nitrogen cycle. Snails are VERY susceptible to ammonia and nitrite poisioning - this is why your snail has been active - to answer your question - yes, he's sick. You need to do frequent water changes until your tank is cycled

Back
Top Bottom