is my tank appropriate for cories?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evaunitone

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so as you can see in "MyTanks" I have a 20 gallon long and I have a bamboo shrimp, 3 platys and 5 (soon to be more) ghost shrimp. The entire front of my tank is being taken over by dwarf hair grass, and I suppose that may spread to the middle and back of the tank eventually. I also have a tiger lotus and some blyxa and several anacharis. My point here is that althoguh there is plenty of open sand now, eventually it will probably be filled by plants. So, I'm wondering if this will be ok for cories or do they need to have big open areas of substrate?

Since I only have sand as a substrate, I'm a little worried the cories will be constantly dislodging my plants. I may just stick with shrimp for the bottom level of the tank.

Since I only have sand as a substrate, I'm a little worried the cories will be constantly dislodging my plants. I may just stick with shrimp for the bottom level of the tank.

I have sand substrate, too, and four cories. Three of the four are new to the tank, but one has been in the tank for six weeks. Jimmy has never uprooted anything in my tank, although I don't have live plants. One nice thing about sand substrate is that it really holds things in place. My cories spend a lot of time in the visible parts of the tank (i.e. not hiding under plants) and they don't burrow in the sand or anything. They just scavenge for food and stuff. They also swim around toward the surface quite frequently, and zip around the tank like a super bouncy ball. Cories are really cute - they blink their eyes!

i dont think you'll have a problem with corys digging up your plants. i've never seen mine do anything that would even remotely think they were going to, and i have ALOT of plants... now my platys on the other hand...

once the plants are established it shouldn't be too much of a problem. there still gap space and since its a 20 you would want some of the small ones any ways.

Back
Top Bottom