Is my tank fully stocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlaxerGun93

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I wanna get a couple more fish. But wanted to know your guys opinion.

Its a 20G
With 7 Zebra Danios

You think i can get away with adding 1 or 2 more fish?

Stocking Question

I wanna get a couple more fish. But wanted to know your guys opinion.

Its a 20G
With 7 Zebra Danios

You think i can get away with adding 1 or 2 more fish?

Hello Blax...

If you're willing to change half the tank water every week or two, you can double the number of small fish. But, you have to commit to changing their water more often or you risk losing the fish.

B

Hello Blax...

If you're willing to change half the tank water every week or two, you can double the number of small fish. But, you have to commit to changing their water more often or you risk losing the fish.

B

That's not a problem i do 25% water changes each monday. How many more fish( 1-2 Inches) do you think i can add?

Stocking Your Tank

That's not a problem i do 25% water changes each monday. How many more fish( 1-2 Inches) do you think i can add?

Hello again Blax...

The water changes will need to increase to 50 percent or double what you're currently doing. If you can do this every week or two, then you can certainly add more small, compatible fish. I don't think another 6 or 8 would cause a water chemistry problem.

Get some floating plants into the tank too. Anacharis and Hornwort are my favorites for helping keep the water chemistry stable.

B

Dont be too preoccupied by the stupid inch per gallon rule, if you are talking about slim bodied fish like zebra danios then you can add more of those fish than for instance a deeper bodied fish like a sailfin molly, i would be more concerned about swimming space, danios are hyper active and need lots of space to do their thing so bear that in mind, the inch per gallon rule is the roughest of rough guides and in a 20 gallon you can double your current stock but maybe not add any more of those nutty danios, lovely fish though and so hardy, danios are almost indestructible and are very forgiving when it comes to less than perfect water conditions, go for another hardy type of community fish to add variety to the tank and as already suggested keep up the water changes

Dont be too preoccupied by the stupid inch per gallon rule, if you are talking about slim bodied fish like zebra danios then you can add more of those fish than for instance a deeper bodied fish like a sailfin molly, i would be more concerned about swimming space, danios are hyper active and need lots of space to do their thing so bear that in mind, the inch per gallon rule is the roughest of rough guides and in a 20 gallon you can double your current stock but maybe not add any more of those nutty danios, lovely fish though and so hardy, danios are almost indestructible and are very forgiving when it comes to less than perfect water conditions, go for another hardy type of community fish to add variety to the tank and as already suggested keep up the water changes

What other community fish (hardy) that are small you suggest that would get along with zebra danios?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom