Is my tank overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meateater540

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 50 gallon thank, and have 5 red phantom tetras, 5 neon tetras, 5 glowlight tetra's 3 Zebra danios, 3 brilliant rasboras, 2 miniature gouramis, 2 corys and a pleco. Is it overstocked? Because other people have like 75 gallon tanks and only have like 5 or 6 fish :?.

The pleco will get to big eventually if it is a common. I don't think you are over stocked, however except for the pleco.

I think you should add some more cories, danios and rasboras...they really love being in schools.

Do you know what kind of pleco you have?

add a couple more of all the tetras and the danios. they like to be in schools, the bigger the better.

the pleco will eventually get too big for a 50g, but i've seen people who have plecos in 10g because "well, now they're tiny and they'll grow to their environment". :roll:
*bangs head on nearest hard surface*

edit: i meant to say "the more the better, as long as you're not overstocking"

but i don't think you're close to overstock at the moment.

its a chocolate pleco, and it doesn't seem to be getting any bigger, if it looks to big for the tank ill get rid of it. so i can actuall add in more fish? cool :)

meateater540 said:
its a chocolate pleco, and it doesn't seem to be getting any bigger, if it looks to big for the tank ill get rid of it. so i can actuall add in more fish? cool :)

yes, that would be very wise!!

remove the pleco - hence you can add MORE fish !!
even better :wink: :wink: :wink:

chocolate pleco? if thats the real name for it chocolate plecos stay small i think.

i always thought chocolate was just a cute name for a type of albino (standard) pleco.

but of course i could be wrong.

plecos are really big but they don't take up much swimming space if ya know what i mean. Of course, if he starts to get to long then you would want to remove him because you don't want him to not have enough space.

I think you should definitly make your schools bigger.

A chocolate pleco is an albino form of a regular pleco. So, yes, it's gonna outgrow your tank. Even if they aren't active swimmers, they still need room to turn around. Also, you need to consider the waste they produce and how it will affect your bioload. I think you'll be ok for a while though. They don't grow to 12" overnight but, I have one (common) that did get to 10" in under a year. Just something to keep in mind.

yes, my common pleco was only like 3-4 inches when i bought him and now hes probably a good 8 inches. And ive only had him since February of this year. But in my 4 foot long aquarium he still has plenty of room to move around... heck sometimes i can't find him! LOL :lol:

Kind of off on a tangent, but not really:

My wife's church has a smaller bow-front aquarium (probably high 30's, low 40's) with a MASSIVE chocolate pleco. I'm not exactly sure how big he is, but I would guess at least 14" or 16". Let's put it this way. He's big enough that when he lies from back of the tank to the front, his tail has to bend to fit. I've NEVER seen the guy on the glass or anything. Look uncomfortable.... but the owner/operator won't listen to me and insists that he HAS to stay in there to keep the tank in balance.

So, just to be relevant, I know for a fact that the "chocolate" pleco can, and WILL, outgrow your tank.

Nothing is more convincing than first hand experience so kudos to you FMJnaX for describing in detail a pleco who is suffering and your attempts to educate the owner.

Makes one wonder what people are thinking 8O

poor pleco.. he probably can't even get himself turned around! thats so sad. :(

Yes get rid of the pleco (sell him to a lfs or give him to a friend with a big tank).
Bigger schools for the tetras, danios, rasboras and cories will be better for them and they will look better. Instead of a pleco get a couple otos or a farlowella (my favorite). Or clown plecos- they stay small- I've had mine for 2 years and he's only 3 inch.

AshleyNicole said:
poor pleco.. he probably can't even get himself turned around! thats so sad. :(

Don't want to get too off topic, but come to think about it, every time I walk by he's in the same position. He probably can't move much at all... I never really stop long enough to examine him, since the tank is on the way to the children center.

Back
Top Bottom