Is my tank really overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tosviolation

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 20gH aquarium planted with various crypts(parva, lutea, spiralis, and wendtii) stocked with 6 Bronze Corydoras, 7 Harlequin Rasboras, 3 Otocinclus, and 1 Pearl Gourami. I do Bi weekly water changed of about 25% and all my fish seem healthy. I was talking on another forum and someone said that was way too overstocked. My ammonia and nitrite are at 0 and try to keep my nitrate under 40. I thought i was doing pretty good, but now Im feeling insecure and I dont want to hurt my fish. What do you guys think?

I get told my angelfish tank is over stocked all the time. What people don't seem to realize is the the fish in there occupy different levels of the tank.

Here's my stocking, roughly:

115g tank

4 angelfish sub-adult
24 adult Australian rainbows
3 adult madascar rainbows
24 adult albino corys
6 adult gold dojos
1 adult albino BN pleco
2 adult SAE
1 adult neon tetra
3 adult harlequin rasboras
3 adult black neons
1 adult glow light tetra
6 adult zebra loaches

Sounds full right? Tank looks surprisingly empty. The dimensions are 36 inches high x 48 inches long x 18 inches wide

I don't think you're over stocked. I think you should add more oto's though. Atleast 5 or 6.

I actually bought 6, and these 3 were the ones that survived. They seem to be happy in thier little school though. They play and eat the veggies i clip in there. Ive honestly thought about rehoming them and going for a bunch of RCS. I dont really have that much algae growth.

Your fine. But you could do 50% weekley changes. That should help keep the nitrite a little lower.

I try and split it up into a 25% change twicra week. For the most part my nitrates are between 20 abd 40 before I do the change. My nitrites are always 0

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I try and split it up into a 25% change twicra week. For the most part my nitrates are between 20 abd 40 before I do the change. My nitrites are always 0

I have to be careful doing too much of a water change all at once too. I learned the hard way when I caused a PH spike in my tank by changing out too much at once. I'm on well water, so I assume that's what caused it. Everyone's different though. It sounds like everything is fine in your tank and you can see that others on here have tanks that are considered to be overstocked and are quite fine. This forum is the best one out there as far as I'm concerned to get experienced and kind responses to your questions.
D

Back
Top Bottom