Is my water brown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OsciTheOscar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it me or is my water really a little bit brown?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1425254242686.jpg
    1425254242686.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 107

Attachments

• 1425254365424.jpg
    1425254365424.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 100
Hard to tell. Sometimes theihht one kinda plays tricks.

How old is the driftwood? If it is new I bet that is why- the wood is releasing tannins. It's not bad for the fish it just (imo) looks blah

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

DW brand new yesterday from the LFS. Should i take it out and treat it or what... figured itd be good to go

From the side...

Attachments

• 1425260541152.jpg
    1425260541152.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 93
It doesn't look brown to me but it's hard to really tell from the pictures.

I think ill try a WC and maybe find some clearity formula of some sort... WC first though

DW brand new yesterday from the LFS. Should i take it out and treat it or what... figured itd be good to go

It's the drift wood releasing tannins. It doesn't hurt the fish. You can treat by taking it out and boiling it or soaking it in hot water for a couple weeks. Adding a clarity solution probably won't make a difference, and if it does it well be short lived until it stops releasing tannins.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can add activated carbon or purigen to the filter to help soak up some of the tannins, or go the whole soaking method. I'd just let it run its course.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yeah I have to agree like people mentioned- the clarity drops won't work and if it does it will only be temporary as the wood will keep leeching the tannins. Purigen or something of that nature will work but it does take a while to run its course.

While kind of annoying it isn't anything to really worry about but if you really wanted to boiling it will speed up the process (or of it is too big for a pot to boil soaking in a tub)

Back
Top Bottom