Is my water too hard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laser

Aquarium Advice Addict
We recently moved and are looking into setting up a 20 long. It turns out our water seems pretty hard. This water is not straight out of the tap. I let it sit out for a couple of days.

dGH is 28
dKH is 16.3
and pH is 8.6

I don't want to subject any fish to this water that can't handle it. We've been thinking about getting some type of livebearer or shell dwelling cichlids. I'm just looking for some opinions on my situation and possibly fish that are suitable and which are definitely not suitable. Also, I'm not really interested in going the RO water route.

Your Tap Water

Hello Las...

Most aquarium fish you pick up at the local pet store will adapt to most public water supplies. so, you don't need to worry about pH, hardness or any of these things. All you need to do is treat the water to remove chlorine and chloramine. These are the chemicals the public water people put into the water to make it safe to drink.

The most important thing you can do to ensure the health of your tank is to remove and replace half the water weekly to remove dissolved wastes before they build up in the water and stress the tank inhabitants.

B

Hello Las...

Most aquarium fish you pick up at the local pet store will adapt to most public water supplies. so, you don't need to worry about pH, hardness or any of these things. All you need to do is treat the water to remove chlorine and chloramine. These are the chemicals the public water people put into the water to make it safe to drink.

The most important thing you can do to ensure the health of your tank is to remove and replace half the water weekly to remove dissolved wastes before they build up in the water and stress the tank inhabitants.

B

Yes, actually you do.. they have all types of fish at my lfs that would pull a nutty and die in that water (no offense laser)
Op - I think shellies is a splendid idea. I really do!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No offense taken. This is why I aksed and I really like the idea of Shellies. I know fish are adaptable on the whole, but I want fish that will do well also.

Back
Top Bottom