Is Petco okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MamaJasmine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am sitting here with a perfectly healthy cycled tank with just 2 fish in it. My LFS is only open m-f 9-5. I am working that entire time and I just can not get to them for at least a month. Getting off early does not happen for me ever. I have a Petco and Petsmart 30 minutes away that I can go to on weekends.. I will not be following any advice, just buying fish stock.. and I would rather NOT go to petsmart.. how is petco known for the health of their fish? Thank you in advance!

Ive never had problems with their fish and have purchased a pretty good amount from petco. I got a pair of convict cichlids from them and they bred in a few weeks of being put in the tank

Probably depends on the individual store. I've been to multiple PetCo's and PetSmart's around here and all their fish are horrid (I've seen some sad and very sick fish :() but I wouldn't say that all PetSmart or PetCo's are bad necessarily. Go in and observe the fish. If they are not active, or have torn or clamped fins, if they're gasping or have white spots, etc then avoid them or at the very least quarantine them before you put them in your main tank.

My petco is decent. Some tanks look really healthy, while others not as much. I guess it depends on the individual store and who runs it.

The only thin in mine is that ive seen them put little baby oscars(2 or 3 inches) with mollies and community fish! I didnt get that. Maybe because it was so small i guess.

My petco is a dump. Their tanks always have lots of dead fish. I would never even consider purchasing from petco.

Petsmart/Petco will normally be getting fish from the same distributor as any local shop. So, if your local shop has good fish, then so will the chain stores.

What does matter is the specific store once they get the fish. Check it out first, ask questions, etc. Don't buy until you know it's good.

I think Librarygirl summed it up well. Whether chain or local, it comes down to the individual store and the people working there. QT is always a good thing. Even great shops get in sick fish.

Petsmart/Petco will normally be getting fish from the same distributor as any local shop. So, if your local shop has good fish, then so will the chain stores.

What does matter is the specific store once they get the fish. Check it out first, ask questions, etc. Don't buy until you know it's good.

Totally false. The mega chains have their own distribution centers that receive fish from "officially affiated" farms in Asia and Florida in massive numbers and then send them out to the individual stores.

Really? I will have to look into this. I know Sunpet distributes to most of the local shops and to Petland. The Petco up here gets at least their bettas from them. I will ask my friend that works at a Petsmart.

HN1 said:
Totally false. The mega chains have their own distribution centers that receive fish from "officially affiated" farms in Asia and Florida in massive numbers and then send them out to the individual stores.

This is correct. I know several mom and pop shops that buy their fish directly from small non-local breeders. Petco, etc shops usually come from fish farms.

so would you all agree it is best to just wait till I find time to get to the LFS?

I ask petsmart or petco to check their water parameters in the tanks that i am thinking of saving a fish from. The water parameters can sometimes give me a heads up of the chances of illness coming with the fish. It doesn't hurt

aqua_chem said:
This is correct. I know several mom and pop shops that buy their fish directly from small non-local breeders. Petco, etc shops usually come from fish farms.

Same here my lfs also gets all of their plants from customers.

I have never had a problem with perform fish.... I personally like petsmart better but both are fine just take your time and examine the fish

It's all about the individual store. Here I have two Petcos to compare, each twenty minutes away. One is a dump that gives horrid advice with unhealthy fish in all the tanks. The other is quite clean, well-kept and will give out good advice on the occasion.

As mentioned, check the place out. Observe the fish. See how they are doing, and see how long they've been in there. That is a major factor on what shop you want to do your buying at.

Reactions: HN1
Back
Top Bottom