Is Ph down for swimming pools safe for fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Overyonder

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I live up in Roxby Downs in South Australia and have not been into aquariums that long . We done a 50% water change in our tank, then done a ph test on water. The test came up 7.8. We then done a test on towns water supply it was a lot higher. We used the ph down from the Aqua One test kit. Lynettes tank holds 200 lts and mine holds 250 lts . We used all of the ph down plus more.Containers only hold 100 grms My question is can we use ph decreaser used in swimming pools and spas .Ive done some research in the MSDS into these products. Is this product safe for fish or should I buy aquarium ph down online for larger containers
Material Safety Data Sheet
Classified as Hazardous according to criteria of Work Safe Australia
Product Name Sodium Bisulphate (Dry Acid) Other Names Sodium Hydrogen Sulphate, Sodium Acid Sulphate Product Code & Sizes HYCPHDHP03 3KG HARD PACK HYCPHDSP03 3KG SOFT PACK Recommended Uses Used to adjust pH levels in swimming pools
Company Name HY-CLOR AUSTRALIA PTY LTD Address 178 Power Street, Glendenning, NSW 2761 Tel / Fax Ph: (02) 8805 2400 Fax: (02) 8805 2401
Emergency Contact Number Business Hours Only (02) 8805 2400.

If pH is too low, should be limed. (Lime 95% CaO).
My garden pond has 50 square meters of surface. I give it 5 kg per year.
The pH is 7 buffered.

I live up in Roxby Downs in South Australia and have not been into aquariums that long . We done a 50% water change in our tank, then done a ph test on water. The test came up 7.8. We then done a test on towns water supply it was a lot higher. We used the ph down from the Aqua One test kit. Lynettes tank holds 200 lts and mine holds 250 lts . We used all of the ph down plus more.Containers only hold 100 grms My question is can we use ph decreaser used in swimming pools and spas .Ive done some research in the MSDS into these products. Is this product safe for fish or should I buy aquarium ph down online for larger containers
Material Safety Data Sheet
Classified as Hazardous according to criteria of Work Safe Australia
Product Name Sodium Bisulphate (Dry Acid) Other Names Sodium Hydrogen Sulphate, Sodium Acid Sulphate Product Code & Sizes HYCPHDHP03 3KG HARD PACK HYCPHDSP03 3KG SOFT PACK Recommended Uses Used to adjust pH levels in swimming pools
Company Name HY-CLOR AUSTRALIA PTY LTD Address 178 Power Street, Glendenning, NSW 2761 Tel / Fax Ph: (02) 8805 2400 Fax: (02) 8805 2401
Emergency Contact Number Business Hours Only (02) 8805 2400.

You don't need to alter the ph 7.8 is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You don't need to alter the ph 7.8 is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As above I really suspect. What sort of fish do you have? Generally if the fish are coming from a nearby shop they will already be on the same tap water.

The trouble with adjusting tap water ph is that every water change will re-adjust back up.

Lynette has Snakeskin Discus (Symphysodon sp.), Kissing Gourami (Helostoma temmincki) and Dwarf Gourami (Colisa lalia)

The water we have here is desalinated water from the Great Artisan Basin . Its pumped here desalinated and town council add chlorine and other additives. Usually the water is good. The local supplier of fish said ph level are not usually that high & any water changes they correct levels in store. A few local have lost fish in the process eg Discus

The water we have here is desalinated water from the Great Artisan Basin . Its pumped here desalinated and town council add chlorine and other additives. Usually the water is good. The local supplier of fish said ph level are not usually that high & any water changes they correct levels in store. A few local have lost fish in the process eg Discus

I wondering if the problem here is more unstable tap water chemistry rather than a particular ph issue.

Here in Perth foothills my tap water is 8.2 from tap and 7.8 around 24hrs later (after it has warmed up, degassed, etc). My tank runs normally at say 7.2 to 7.4 (haven't checked for a bit but tanks naturally tend to a lower ph from biological processes over time) and CO2 injection takes the ph down to say 6.7 twice daily. Kh and gh are fairly consistent but change with seasons.

http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=587#.V817DzTCanM

The store sounds a good place to pick their brains on although I do feel trying to change water chemistry is risky in tank unless you have at least a kh test kit. Even then I'd suspect the tap water is normally fine (unless wild discus or breeding I guess) and its just picking when tap water "goes off spec". Could that make sense?

I would buy a kh and gh test kit. I'd test tap water for everything straight from the tap and then put some tap water to degas in an open bottle for 24hrs. Test ph again and that will be true ph. Each weekly water change I'd test tap ph to make sure you are not getting caught with suddenly changing tap water chemistry.

Fish can be fine with just ph changing (this occurs in my tank from co2 injection) but ph changing is an issue when it indicates the rest of the water chemistry is changing eg maybe the water company doses some extra treatment chemicals we don't test for.

I'd also look into using seachem prime or seachem safe as it detoxifies quite a lot for a water conditioner. Seachem safe is the powder version and a container lasts about a zillion years.

http://www.seachem.com/prime.php

I would also be tempted on looking into a water storage bin to age your water. That way the tap water can warm up, gas off and stabilise to true ph. If you get a bad batch of tap water it can be ditched. Any adjustments to ph would be made to that (but I'd get some tap water chemistry readings first). Some thoughts anyways.

Thanks for the advice I will look ln to the things you mentioned. The pH is down all the fish now look great. During that stressful time the emperor tetras got white spot they have been separated and everything has been treated. Only new to this hobby, didn't think it would be so demanding and fish can be so temperamental but it certainly worth it. Thanks once again

Back
Top Bottom