Is potassium permanganate toxic to beneficial bacteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DesktopTankDiva

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone,

I was lucky enough to obtain a chunk of sponge from a fish store to help cycle my new tank. I am concerned about snails though. I asked the salesperson if the tank was snail free and they assured me it was.

I have potassium permanganate to use as a dip for live plants before they go in my tank. Would I be killing all the beneficial bacteria if I dipped the sponge? I was excited to get the sponge to boost my cycling but am really concerned about potential snail eggs.

And nope...other fish or snails to kill the prolific snails is not an option since my tank is only 3.5 gallons.

Thanks for any info!
DesktopD :)

It will kill your beneficial bacteria. It's also pretty toxic to humans if mishandled.

If you get snail's just remove them from the tank.

Thanks for letting me know.

Gah...I will have to cycle without the help of the sponge then. I only know about the potassium permanganate because an employee at a fish store years ago gave me a tiny baggie of it when I purchased a live plant.

Good news though, the fish store that gave me the sponge carry Endler's. I couldn't believe it when I saw them, the closest I've seen around here are Endler's hybrids and they don't have the true colors or markings. The store even had blue Endler's. Yay!

As above.

Depending on dose, I’ve used it for infection treatment with no issues in tank but I suspect a lighter dose. Unfortunately lost the link on what ppm value I mixed to. :(

Hello Desk...

I'd discourage putting chemicals into the tank water. Just rinse the plants well in some warm tap water and put them in the tank. The only chemical that should be used ever is a water treatment to remove chlorine and chloramines. But, you're the tank keeper, it's your call.

B

Thanks to all who replied...I love reading all the different advice and opinions.

And thanks for the link coralbandit...interesting reading.

Back
Top Bottom