Is Seachem Prime THAT Good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here we go.... how is shipping $107?? Is that a typo? Where are you??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

We are in the UK so that shipping is about right then we would pay import tax on top of that

If you need stuff sent from the US befriend someone who lives over there and get them to send it as a gift

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Pm me op, we can figure something out, that just seems wrong..

You can't overdose with prime that's why you can add a triple dose in a emergency

What kind of emergency could a person have that would require a triple dose, unless they spill pool chlorine in their tank.
personally I use Prime to detoxify any metals and such in the water, I honestly haven't concerned myself with chlorine for years. Aeration takes care of chlorine if that is all you need to worry about. Aerate the water for 24 hours prior to use and it should all be dissipated.
That is why a lot of places switched to chloramine because chlorine is very unstable and dissipates very quickly.

Here we go.... how is shipping $107?? Is that a typo? Where are you??

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407022328.995813.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice assuming the app didn't crash.

What kind of emergency could a person have that would require a triple dose, unless they spill pool chlorine in their tank.
personally I use Prime to detoxify any metals and such in the water, I honestly haven't concerned myself with chlorine for years. Aeration takes care of chlorine if that is all you need to worry about. Aerate the water for 24 hours prior to use and it should all be dissipated.
That is why a lot of places switched to chloramine because chlorine is very unstable and dissipates very quickly.

It can detox ammonia and nitrite

Didn't you read the bottle before you used it lol

Straight from the prime website and on the bottle:

Didn't you read the label on the bottle?

I feel 5 times was excessive

But as you would only use that amount to remove chorine from a swimming pool

Like I said from the state I used pond prime for years with no issues

I don't have a bottle to hand and haven't use any tap water conditioner for over 4 years
So if you can use up to 5-6 times the amount needed the chances of overdose are very slim don't you agree

I feel 5 times was excessive

But as you would only use that amount to remove chorine from a swimming pool

Like I said from the state I used pond prime for years with no issues

I don't have a bottle to hand and haven't use any tap water conditioner for over 4 years
So if you can use up to 5-6 times the amount needed the chances of overdose are very slim don't you agree

Depends on the tank. If you are dechlorinating a 700g pond there's a less chance of overdosing than a 10g tank.

Depends on the tank. If you are dechlorinating a 700g pond there's a less chance of overdosing than a 10g tank.

So to over dose a 10g you would need to use the amount for a 70g not much chance of that happening unless you are very clumsy or blind

So to over dose a 10g you would need to use the amount for a 70g not much chance of that happening unless you are very clumsy or blind

How accurately can you eyeball 1mL of fluid? the vast majority of people don't have accurate ways to measure that small of an amount of fluid. Don't have to be blind to accidentally dose an extra mL or two of fluid into a tank.

It can detox ammonia and nitrite

Didn't you read the bottle before you used it lol

lots of things make lots of claims.
And what person is going to dump a triple dose of Prime into a tank to deal with elevated ammonia and nitrite instead of doing a water change?

If you are expecting Prime to "rescue" your tank because of ammonia and nitrite, you are doing it wrong in the first place.

You should also bear in mind that just about EVERY consumable product out there has directions designed to get you to repurchase the product at regular intervals.
In other words, marketing hype.

if simply used as a water conditioner for water changes and not all the other suggested uses, a 500ml bottle of Prime will last most folks 6 months to a year.
Seachem doesn't make as much $$$ that way. ;)

How accurately can you eyeball 1mL of fluid? the vast majority of people don't have accurate ways to measure that small of an amount of fluid. Don't have to be blind to accidentally dose an extra mL or two of fluid into a tank.

Yeah, I think T1karmann hasn't grasped that it isn't the product but the concentrations that are of concern.

Some guys get really carried away and have to prove they are right

Pond is the same as normal prime

If you can't measure one ml use a one ml syringe

That's the end of it
Some of you love to bait me to get me band again

Not playing that game anymore

Yes you all right don't buy pond prime if that's what you want to hear

Some guys get really carried away and have to prove they are right

You're absolutely right. Some guys do get carried away which gets them banned.

Overdosing a 10g tank with pond prime is 2mL. Overdosing a 10g tank with normal prime is 5ml. It's hard to argue the difference between the chances of overdosing.

I see we can get that UK side of the pond too. My next purchase I think. £17 for 500ml on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice assuming the app didn't crash.

I'm in the same boat there mate.

I don't even think it's that much, I use Fluval now which is £10 for 2 bottles (10 water changes).

Prime would be £17 for 1 bottle and like (80 changes).
Seems like a bargain.

You're absolutely right. Some guys do get carried away which gets them banned.

Overdosing a 10g tank with pond prime is 2mL. Overdosing a 10g tank with normal prime is 5ml. It's hard to argue the difference between the chances of overdosing.

2ml is a lot

And we don't all keep 10gal tanks
If you do have a 10gal I don't think you will be as worried as the costs of tap water conditioner as a guy with a 100gal would

Considering your a mod who likes to bam me why do you feel the need to push me to the point where you have to ban me

Are you like a alpha dog protecting his turf and you feel threatened by me not agreeing with everything you say

Children...please, we are all entitled to an opinion, just agree to disagree. That way no one says too much and gets banned.

Sent from anteatergoanna's burrow

2ml is a lot

And we don't all keep 10gal tanks
If you do have a 10gal I don't think you will be as worried as the costs of tap water conditioner as a guy with a 100gal would

Considering your a mod who likes to bam me why do you feel the need to push me to the point where you have to ban me

Are you like a alpha dog protecting his turf and you feel threatened by me not agreeing with everything you say

I'm flattered that you think I'm a mod but no, I'm really not. And here on this thread you're the only person getting aggressive / defensive. I stated my opinion which you continually rejected getting more and more hostile as the thread continued. I accept that you have an opinion on prime and happen to think that there are risks to your suggestion that needed to be brought to light. The fact that you take any disagreement with anything you say as a personal insult is a problem on your end.

Furthermore, not being a mod myself and never having contacted a mod about you it might be a good thing to reevaluate how you handle talking to people on this forum.

Let's be fair here someone with one 10gal is very unlikely to consider buying pond prime

But as their are a lot of people on this forum who have multi tanks some larger than 10gal then it is a cheaper option

A lot of people like to store water in buts and heat it to the right temp so they could mix a large butt of water and dose with pond prime

Even better still if a few fish keepers that live local to each other could join forces and buy the larger bottle and share it out

Nothing wrong with saving money and I done just that when I was running a 350gal doing 2 x 25% water changes per week

It's just a option nothing more if people want to pay the higher price for normal prime then they can

No more

Let's be fair here someone with one 10gal is very unlikely to consider buying pond prime

But as their are a lot of people on this forum who have multi tanks some larger than 10gal then it is a cheaper option

A lot of people like to store water in buts and heat it to the right temp so they could mix a large butt of water and dose with pond prime

Even better still if a few fish keepers that live local to each other could join forces and buy the larger bottle and share it out

Nothing wrong with saving money and I done just that when I was running a 350gal doing 2 x 25% water changes per week

It's just a option nothing more if people want to pay the higher price for normal prime then they can

No more

Not sure what your reference to using a butt to store water in but assuming its a term for large container that's a solid idea. Actually an advisable idea for many people as it would reduce the ph swing when doing water changes.

Back
Top Bottom