Is Stress Coat safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach_fresh

Aquarium Advice Regular
i had to post this here because i cant for some reason post in the General Discussion. I was wondering if it is safe to use Stress Coat and freshwater salt in a planted tank?????? thanks alot

If used as directed the Stress Coat is safe. As far as salt, plants generally don't like salt. Are you talking about a brakish tank or just keeping a little aquarium salt in the water at all times? I generally don't advise keeping salt in the water at all times in a freshwater tank unless its a molly tank. Java moss can live in a tank with small amounts of salt but most plants will eventually die.

I do love salt for treating all types of illnesses in a hospital tank. I find it works best if the fish aren' t use to living in salty water. What type of fish do you have and how much salt are your looking to use and why?

With the fish that you have, I wouldn't add the salt. It wouldn't hurt the fish, but I don't see a gain.

Aquarium salt serves no purpose other than helping to treat some diseases IMO. I have tried aquarium salt before and it hasn't made any difference than without aquarium salt.

If you are talking about using salt in the tank in your profile I definitely wouldn't recommend the salt.....cause I don't think cories tolerate salt well.

i was using the salt because it "says" it adds electrolytes and improves gill function. so i should only really use it with a medication when treating illnesses?

in general yes. If your fish are healthy theres no reason to keep salt in all the time. Salt is excellent for ich, abrasions, certain parasites and some other diseases. It helps the fish heal and releives osmotic pressure from wounds.
Some people use it as a preventative, but its not necessary. And when you do, you need to keep the salt content relativley stable when you change the water.
Also some fish are more salt tolerant than others. So be sure you know your fishes salt tolerances and when you do use it keep track of how much you have in there.

The salt is not needed. Manufacturer's will put anything on the box so you will use it. It's kind of like the filter cartridges say to replace them at every water change. In reality, only when they fall apart.

Back
Top Bottom