Is the petstore worker right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, one thing you will soon find out about aquarium keeping: not all aquarists agree. :) There is a lot of differing information out there. You know about water chemistry, so that is good. In the past days of aquarium keeping, it seems that it was more the norm for people to clean less and just let the tank run its course. That doesn't mean it was ever really giving the fish the best situation possible, but that is how many people did it. That is still how many people do it. You will still see all sorts of people with grungy, disgusting tanks and living fish. The advice people here have given you is solid. You need to do pwc to keep the water from turning toxic. Keep up the good work.
Let's please try to not pull this thread too far off topic, but I do also want to chime in and add that a bnp is a rather large fish for your tank size. Unfortunately, you are hindered by the petite size of the tank. I suggest going with a nerite snail instead of the bnp. I know it is not necessarily as fun to watch snails, but even my partially grown bnp would be pretty cramped such a small tank. Get a bnp someday when you have a larger tank (unless of course you are planning to upgrade sometime soonish).

Thanks, I learned so much through this thread, everyones opinion helps. Also I will make the changes with my bristlenose pleco when I get a larger tank.

Another added note is nerite snails are the only algae eaters that can actually scrape off and eat green spot algae.

Thanks, I did not know that, that is very valuable information. Whats the differance between a Mystery Snail and a Nerite Snail?

Thanks, I did not know that, that is very valuable information. Whats the differance between a Mystery Snail and a Nerite Snail?

Different species. The nerite snail is smaller, only reproduces in brackish water, and primarily eats algae. The mystery snail is a type of apple snail. It gets bigger, messier, poops more, and has a more generalized diet.

I would do water changes every 3 weeks and buy some kind of algae eater. Some of the best are common plecos, Chinese algae eaters, and european algae eaters. Also you can purchase a moss ball which will use the nutrients that algae needs to grow in turn making it difficult for it to form.

I would do water changes every 3 weeks and buy some kind of algae eater. Some of the best are common plecos, Chinese algae eaters, and european algae eaters. Also you can purchase a moss ball which will use the nutrients that algae needs to grow in turn making it difficult for it to form.

the OP already has a bristlenose pleco and two snails. did you read through the thread? this is for a five gallon tank....

Yes i did i was just giving some pointers rather they did it already or not.

Snails, ottos, and shrimps would be my only recommendation for cleanup help in a 5g. There is very very few fish that can live in such cramped quarters.

Snails, ottos, and shrimps would be my only recommendation for cleanup help in a 5g. There is very very few fish that can live in such cramped quarters.

I second this for algae eaters. My preference would be shrimp and/or snails along with either the betta or the frogs.

If you are able to, the pleco should be rehomed to a larger tank (at least 29g) like what's been said.

For the green spot algae, I found that my biggest problem in causing that was too much light. If your algae eater isn't able to keep up with the growth, perhaps cut the light back 30 to 60min a day and see if that helps prohibit it. I used to run my light 10-12 hours. I picked up a timer in October and have the light set to be on only 8 hours. The spot algae is almost completely gone now.

Back
Top Bottom