Is there a black paint that will cover silicone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bradleyheathhays

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyone know of a black paint that I could use to cover the whitish silicone streak in the back of my tank? I have the back and side painted black on the outside and now the vertical white silicone strip in the corner stands out like a sore thumb.

Thanks

Im not aware of any paint that could be considered "aquarium safe". Acrylic maybe? I'd research that more deeply before doing anything with it.

There is a black colored aquarium silicon sealant. Maybe you could just kind of "paint over" it with some of that.

If you're looking for aquarium safe paint check the DIY section of the forum, there's bound to be some discussion on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Solid white silicone in an aquarium? Ive honestly never seen that. I would personally just scrape it out and reseal the tank because anything you do to it will lokely be temporary and toull have to drain the tank anyways. You could try some really tall plastic plan r s to cover it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Acrylic paint inside the aquarium will only sluff off over time.

Using any oil based paint or epoxy had a chance of poisoning your tank.

If the streak is that bothersome, you will need to drain the tank and run a bead of black 100% silicone. This will probably cover the white, enough to reduce the contrast.

Hope that helps.

Acrylic paint inside the aquarium will only sluff off over time.

Using any oil based paint or epoxy had a chance of poisoning your tank.

If the streak is that bothersome, you will need to drain the tank and run a bead of black 100% silicone. This will probably cover the white, enough to reduce the contrast.

Hope that helps.
Even that is a temporary fix. New silicone wont adhere well to old silicone.

I did have success placing old over new, not as a structural fix but as cosmetic. The surface of the old needs to be roughened to allow a good bond. If it is sitting, it did work for me.

That's all I can comment on.

Thanks for the replies.

Advice I've been given so far is that basically all paint will eventually flake off of the silicone. Also, new silicone will not stick to cured silicone.

My solution...use new black aquarium safe silicone and cover the joint from top to bottom spreading it wide across the joint so that the new black silicone layer spans the old one attaching itself on either side of the joint to fresh glass. The layers of silicone won't fuse but the new black layer will have attachment point on either side of the seam effectively covering the whitish silicone underneath.

tadaaaaa!

Back
Top Bottom