Is there a dwarf goldfish out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolchinchilla

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I read a book recently about goldfish. Amazing how we got all the beautiful breeds from a boring carp-like fish. The fancy started in Asia (China, Japan) and they've been breeding goldfish for a thousand years or more.

I keep wanting to get a fancy goldfish like an oranda, but they all get too big for my tank system right now. (I would NEVER put a goldfish in a small tank.)

Maybe this is really stupid, but for all the breeding expertise out there for goldfish, why haven't they bred something smaller? A dwarf goldfish that gets to only 3 inches instead of 6 or 8 inches would be great. Are there dwarf goldfish? Is there a little one out there?

Thanks for listening.

Fancy goldfish sort of -are- 'dwarf goldfish.' A true carp can get several feet long, unless I'm mistaken. Most fancy goldfish only get 8-10".

I agree - black moors are your best bet, as they get only about 4". They are also extremely tolerant of conditions and are said to be good "beginner" goldfish.

Moors are only slightly smaller than the other fancies :D . I've seen them at 5-6". Orandas are slightly bigger at 6-8". However, I agree that the moor is the easiest golfish to start with. <PS the orandas are reputed to be the most finicky of all the common fancies.>

There are big moors out there, but they are not going to get 10-12" like most other goldies. Most I have seen are about 4" for whatever reason. That goes along with profiles listed about them.

Thanks for your responses!

Hrafnkel said:
Fancy goldfish sort of -are- 'dwarf goldfish.' A true carp can get several feet long, unless I'm mistaken. Most fancy goldfish only get 8-10".

LOL! True! A goldfish is dwarf compared to a real carp. 8)

Black moors are cool fish. Maybe that's where I can start. -- Still wish there were a 3-inch oranda. :roll: Oh well. maybe a bigger tank. Can an oranda go in a 20 gallon or does it need to be 30?

Back
Top Bottom