is there an algae eater for cold water tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maco5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HI.
I was told by someone at my LFS that there is no algae eater that will survive in a tank with fancy goldfish.
Is this true?
Can anyone reccomend something?
Also, how about ghost shrimp?
I thought having some other types of things in the tank would make it more exciting...am I crazy? :roll:

I have been looking for the same thing - I haven't had one (yet), but I have heard the Bristlenose catfish is supposed to be the best algae eater for a GF tank. They are fine with the cold water and they don't get too big.

http://www.fishprofiles.com/profiles/fw/profile.asp?id=Ancistrus+dolichopterus

I have read several reports of standard plecos when they get larger (they can get up to 24") sucking on goldfish and causing damage, especially fancies (too slow to get away).

I currently have some black mystery snails in the tank with my GF, and they seem to get along fine. They do a moderate job of eating the algae, but they don't quite keep up in my 12G tank. The fish will harass the snails a bit, but they just hide in their shells when the fish swim by. I think if you a planted tank, the snails will eat your plants though.

The tank is a 25 gallon.
Is there a pleco that stays relatively small? (the big ones look too scary)
I am afraid to add any snails because I have heard they multiply like crazy!

You can always get a Plecostomus and trash it when it gets too big for you, or maybe move it to a bigger tank, pond, or give it to someone else. They do well in cold waters, but when they get bigger, they do have the ability to eat the smaller Goldfish and suck on their slime coat like was aforementioned (but a lot of other fish suck on slime coat too, so you just have to treat it on a case-by-case basis). They can grow really fast, but if you don't overfeed them and all that, then they'll grow pretty slow.

Here is some information on a Bristlenose: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/loricari/ancistru/49_f.php. They should do well in that cold water too, and they stay relatively small. They won't mess up your plants either, but the Goldfish will, if you decided to have plants.

Plecos are a no-no......
Exceptions are the bristlenose/pit bull plecos. Anytime I suggest plecos in the same breath as golds..these are the ones.

Otos and hilstreams are water quality sensetive, plus otos are snack sized.
Goldfish are carp..indescriminate bottom feeders. what will fit in the mouth becomes lunch. :lol:
Yawp! Go snails and shrimp so if the golds eat them, your feelings are spared and they cannot harm your golds.
Wih 25 gallons you have very little options. You already are at two fancies period and a possible dwarf bristlenose pleco. Goldfish rule of thumb is 10 gal/FISH. Most prefer 15gal. Golds are so messy that many bottom fish become ill with them, and smaller fish are often snacks time to time.

The best thing to keep with fancy goldfish are fancy goldfish. Because they are
1) messy (heavy filtration and space needed for them alone)
2) high oxygen users (hence the space requirements..they need lotsa surface space)
3) highly bred to a slow form that makes them lose out to faster fish at dinner. Even faster forms of golds like koi and comets are bad. Don't mix fancies with any fish but fancies..not even other golds. koi and comets are known to chew up a fancy and devour fancys alive. :(
4) need cooler temps than most fish
5) they like harder water than most other commonly kept fish and respond best to treatments that other fish succumb to (copper and heavy salt)
6) are carp and will snack on smaller gold-safe tankmates

You also have to be selective with plants since goldies are omnivourous..they even eat certain types of algae themselves.
Personally, I 'd say get good filtration and have just three golds and some shrimp and maybe snails and make up the sparseness by decorating it beautifully.

Back
Top Bottom