Is there any fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishingforfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
That can live as the only species and can stay in a 10g tank with other fish? Otherwise, I'll just get neon tetras..

I don't understand the question, you want only one species, but other species at the same time?

I don't understand the question, you want only one species, but other species at the same time?

Kinda hard to explain. Basically, I have a 10g tank and I plan to put 4 panda cories, 2 platys, and 4 neon tetras (maybe 5)--a community tank. This is already slightly overstocked from what I understand, so I was wondering if there is a species of fw fish that can live alone (basically not a schooling fish/socialized fish) in replacement of the neons, because they require at least 5 of them. I was thinking a betta but I'm afraid the bright colors of the platy might cause problems in the long run.
If you still don't get it, here's an example:
Lets say betas would be okay with platys. Then I could just get platys, panda cories, and a betta instead of the 5 neons. That way it's alittle more swimming room than a school of fish. But from what I heard, a betta might not be compatible, so yeah.

Rams and smaller apistos can do alright by themselves. A dwarf gourami, or even a female betta.

Rams and smaller apistos can do alright by themselves. A dwarf gourami, or even a female betta.

Debating on rams or dwarf gourami.

I heard apistos can be a pain to have because they can be demanding regarding food, and water parameters.

The dwarf gourami was actually one of the first fishes I wanted to get before anything. One con i really dont like is that their bioload is huge. However, they sell them right at my local petco, which is a major plus because of where I live.

I am quite new to rams, never really heard of them..but a few links on google, and they seem very promising. However, I never saw them at my petco. ):

I am kinda scared to put a female betta in there tbh..maybe I'm just too paranoid?

*sigh* lots of things to think about! Haha but I'm leaning heavily between those two for now :) thanks!

EDIT: found that rams are not suitable for beginners.. Hmmm, a dwarf gourami is probably what I might get.

Female betta are almost always peaceful, I keep mine in groups of 3. Just make sure to give them a lot of plants (real or silk) and rock and wood caves for them to hide... But it is risky, ALL betta, male or female have their own personality.

Female betta are almost always peaceful, I keep mine in groups of 3. Just make sure to give them a lot of plants (real or silk) and rock and wood caves for them to hide... But it is risky, ALL betta, male or female have their own personality.

Exactly why I'm a bit paranoid to add them in a community tank..like what if I put them in and she starts attacking right then and there?! Too much worry for me, but they do seem to have alot of them at my petco.

Actually if you can find smaller ones with shy personalities when you place a mirror next to them they are beautiful additions... plus they are rugged dither fish and less likely to cause harm than apisto, krib or ram...

Will do! Thanks :)

I believe the rams will need a bigger foot print space also the kribis. They are cichlids so if you do get one just watch their behavior and make sure they arent causing problems they are usually very peaceful but can get a mildly aggressive over space.

Not all bettas are agressive!!!! Every single one has a different personality! Females do tend to be a bit calmer but some males are like that too!! I don't think that any cichlid should be in a 10g except shell dwellers!

I prefer a honey gourami over a dwarf for a 10 gal. Slightly smaller and less susceptible to disease.

In my 10 gal I have:
5 harlequin rasbora (might add 1 more female, not sure)
1 honey gourami (male, of course)
2 red cherry shrimp (male and female pair)
and I plan to add
4 or 5 small corydoras, such as pandas or habrosus

Not all bettas are agressive!!!! Every single one has a different personality! Females do tend to be a bit calmer but some males are like that too!! I don't think that any cichlid should be in a 10g except shell dwellers!

I'm lucky. One of the LFS I go to keeps their bettas in tanks with platy or tetras or raspboras. So the bettas are already used to company. They do keep it to only one betta per tank in the store. Every betta I purchased have done well in my community tanks.

Hmm..do you think if I get a female baby betta, that it will cause less trouble? They sell lots of BB at my petco as well. Otherwise, I'm just gonna have to keep my fingers crossed lol

I prefer a honey gourami over a dwarf for a 10 gal. Slightly smaller and less susceptible to disease.

In my 10 gal I have:
5 harlequin rasbora (might add 1 more female, not sure)
1 honey gourami (male, of course)
2 red cherry shrimp (male and female pair)
and I plan to add
4 or 5 small corydoras, such as pandas or habrosus

Do you notice that their bioload is big? I heard that they are, but I haven't owned one so I can't say much.

I'm lucky. One of the LFS I go to keeps their bettas in tanks with platy or tetras or raspboras. So the bettas are already used to company. They do keep it to only one betta per tank in the store. Every betta I purchased have done well in my community tanks.

I would've already got a betta if they did that in my lfs..too bad they keep them in those plastic containers..*cringe*

Do you notice that their bioload is big? I heard that they are, but I haven't owned one so I can't say much.

Not really. When I added the honey gourami, it was the only fish I added at the time and I never saw an ammonia spike. They do like to eat though. Mine is constantly grazing, but at least he does a good job of cleaning up food that falls down to the substrate.

Not really. When I added the honey gourami, it was the only fish I added at the time and I never saw an ammonia spike. They do like to eat though. Mine is constantly grazing, but at least he does a good job of cleaning up food that falls down to the substrate.

Do you find them to be aggressive? I'm only getting one, I don't know whether to get a m or f but maybe a female..

They are generally very peaceful as long as there is only one gourami in such a small tank. Females are quite hard to find as they are duller in color and most LFSs won't carry them.

They are generally very peaceful as long as there is only one gourami in such a small tank. Females are quite hard to find as they are duller in color and most LFSs won't carry them.

Ah, I wanted to put one in my community tank as the only gourami. Is that what you meant?

Back
Top Bottom