Is there room for more or am I overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cplawrence

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got started about 4 months ago. I have a 29 gallon tank with a hang on back filter (Penguin 330). I have been doing water changes (about 15%) twice a week. The fish in there are a bit misguided due partially to incomplete advice from the shop I purchased the tank at (for example, I now understand that I should have six or more of the tetras). Currently there are:
3 Black skirt tetras
2 Swordtails
3 Male dwarf gouramis
1 Rainbow shark
1 Small plecostomus

The local shop indicated that there would be room for more, but as I've been doing more reading, I was suspicious that that would not be the case. So far, everyone is getting along fairly well, although the gouramis will nip at each other from time to time. I have tried rearranging the decorations a bit, but that didn't seem to help. I had read (recently) that they really should be kept with females around as well--which is primarily why I had considered adding to the tank.

Thanks for your help--let me know if you need any other information.

more fish

I personally think you could fit more in. However, the rainbow shark may/will get really big, and really mean, really fast. This may cause problems with putting in more fish. Everywhere I've read indicates 1" of fish per gallon based on the adult size of the fish. However, if you plan to get a new tank and move some to the other, preferably larger tank, they can hang out in a smaller tank until then. The tetras, the swordtails, and the dwarf gouramis should stay small and take up 16 - 20 gallons of water themselves. The rainbow will grow and I think the pleco will get bigger too. Those two alone could account for almost that much space when they reach adult size (although I'm not sure what type of pleco you have).
Therefore if you don't move to a bigger tank, and you leave the pleco and the shark in there, you really don't have much room available.

Your going to have a problem if it is a common pleco. Those guys can get awfully big. You might see if the petshop will take him back. Try oto's for algae. They can be a little hard to get to survive but once your past the first month their very hardy little guys. Adults are only 1 1/2 inches, their cute as all get out and they can clean in places the big guys can't.

Thanks for the advice. It is a common plecostomus. The issue of adult size is something I wasn't aware of until I started reading more about them online. I have really enjoyed keeping the tank and I had hoped to get a larger one at some point, but that would probably be several months down the line. At what size would he be too large for my current tank? How large of a tank would really be required to keep him as a full grown adult?
Thanks again.

Planet Catfish has quite a bit of information on your pleco. Common Plecos get to be about 12" as an adult. They can get territorial towards others of their species. They have a tendency to move things and uproot plants as they grow, not meaness just that big. They seem to need wood to rasp on to maintain a healthy digestive system. NEVER put one in an acrylic tank they'll scar it up something awful. I'm not sure how fast he'll grow. You could probably keep him in the 29 but it would severly limit what else you can keep. Personaly I think he'll eventually be happier in a 55 gallon or better.

I dont believe in the "inch size per gallon" rule. (not to offend anyone who follows it, it is just an opinion" I worked in many fish specialty store while I was younger, and I have talked and dealt with so many people who according to the rule, had too many fish. Through many "trial and errors" on there part, they found that sufficient filtration, and adequate water movement was a cure for an overcrowded tank. Maybe shortening your cleaning schedule to more often, so the ammonia levels dont raise to high, and remember, ammonia hides in the gravel, so siphoning your gravel more often can enable you to do things like keep more fish.

try a quick test. if you have an ammonia test kit and a syringe.

take a water sample from the top of the tank, and then from the very bottom in the gravel.

If you do the test correct, you should see a significant difference in the levels.

Back
Top Bottom