Is there such a thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rob28

Aquarium Advice Freak
Awhile back i post a thread on different filters and there pro's and cons and i cant find it, so please humor me.

Right now, i have 58 inches of fish in my 55 gal tank(fw). The fish are all adolecence so by the time they mature...i dont even wanna tell you how many inches they will be for fear of the lashings im sure i would recieve. I do have plans in progress for another tank which is substancially larger, so please be easy on me.

For now, i have the crappy wal-mart brand aqua-tech filter thats good for up to a 60 gal tank, but due to how many fish and the species i have, they are producing ALOT of waste. So ive decided to upgrade my filtration. i settled on a canister type filter thats capable of handling 150gals. Sorry, i forgot the brand name. I was in my local lfs 5 mins b4 close and didnt wanna be the jerk they were waitin on to leave.

Is there a such thing as over filtering the tank. the canister was over 200 bucks and dont want to waste that kinda cash on a newbie mistake.
thanx in advance

I don't think you can overfilter a tank. You can create too much flow in a tank by having too powerful a canister, but there are ways to tone down the current that's being generated while still taking benefit of extra filtration.

Just for reference, don't necessarily accept what the filter claims it's good for. Just cuz it says it's good for a 150g tank, doesn't mean it is, IMO. I love the Rena Filstar line of canisters, but in no way would I use it at their recommendations. I run an XP3 on my 46g tank, which according to them an XP3 is good up to 175 gallons. On my 125, I run 2 XP4s, which by their box they say each of them is good to 260 gallons. So it's a guide I guess, but there's no way I'd run only an XP3 on a 175g tank.

wow....
so is there a general rule you follow? ie if it says 150, its only good for 50. etc?

One way to size a filter is by the gph rating ... You should have good filtration if you get 6-10x your tank size turnover per hour. <So for the 55, around 300-500 gph)

Another way is to half the manufacturer's claim ....

One way to size a filter is by the gph rating ... You should have good filtration if you get 6-10x your tank turnover per hour.

cool....
that seems logical. thanx

Hey Rob,

I agree that it's impossible to over filter an aquarium, however there is such a thing as wasted filtration! I'd also say that there are some pretty easy methods one can use to either direct water flow and/or dampen it...so "the more, the merrier" can always apply.

Personally, I've really enjoyed the new Marineland C-Series filters which are pretty economical...in my area anyways. In fact, I have one of them on my 125 gallon tank, and also have use two additional 'crappy' HOB filters from Walmart. IMO, both cans and HOB filters can do a great job and the larger preferences go beyond "what works the best". For example, HOB filters are easier to access and clean than cans, and they also tend to leak less since there aren't seals and/or O-rings to deal with. On the other hand though, I enjoy cannister filters because they are quieter and you can avoid the falling water sound that seems to bother some people (e.g. my wife and kids :D).

omg...that actually kinda scares me a lil. according to halfing it, my current filter is good enough for a 30gal tank.:censor:

Hey Rob,

I agree that it's impossible to over filter an aquarium, however there is such a thing as wasted filtration! I'd also say that there are some pretty easy methods one can use to either direct water flow and/or dampen it...so "the more, the merrier" can always apply.

Personally, I've really enjoyed the new Marineland C-Series filters which are pretty economical...in my area anyways. In fact, I have one of them on my 125 gallon tank, and also have use two additional 'crappy' HOB filters from Walmart. IMO, both cans and HOB filters can do a great job and the larger preferences go beyond "what works the best". For example, HOB filters are easier to access and clean than cans, and they also tend to leak less since there aren't seals and/or O-rings to deal with. On the other hand though, I enjoy cannister filters because they are quieter and you can avoid the falling water sound that seems to bother some people (e.g. my wife and kids :D).

lol...the water falling helps me sleep!! thanx for the recommend, ill check into it.

You won't regret getting a canister filter. Everyone here will have their personal favorite or preference, but for the most part they all do a pretty good job.

well i appreciate the help guys. im glad i asked you b4 makin a purchase. im deffinatley gonna go with a canister due to being able to hide it, and 150 gph rating so im sure that its good for at least 75gph. its just a matter of pickin a brand.

If it is only rated at 150 gph, that is quite a small filter. Even the Rena XP1 I'm setting up on my 29g is rated at 250gph. The Hagen Aquaclear 30 I run on my 10g tank is rated at 150gph.

I'd have a hard time believing that any canister filter only turns over 150gph. I would double check the packaging. I have a feeling you misunderstood the package, and it is suggested for a 150 gallon tank instead of only turning over 150gph. Do you have any idea of the brand? Rena...Eheim...Cascade...Magnum...Fluval...

I'd have a hard time believing that any canister filter only turns over 150gph. I would double check the packaging. I have a feeling you misunderstood the package and it is rated for a 150 gallon tank instead of only turning over 150gph.

ur right, it said it was good for up to 150 gal tank

ok, that goes right along with what jsoong said. for my 55 gal, i should have at least 300 gph flow.

i was just mixin up the gph and tank size claims.

I just saw the price of the filter you are talking about. The Rena XP3 is 170 dollars at Drs. Foster/Smith and Big Al's right now, and I believe Big Al's is having a sale on Fluval canisters right now.

Watch ebay, you can usually get good deals there if you're not in a huge hurry. I got my 2 XP4s off ebay, brand new - 1 I paid $125 for and the other $150 for shipped. Retail on them is like $230.

Back
Top Bottom