Is there such a thing as black algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magikalgirl79

Aquarium Advice Regular
Seem to have black algae growing in my tank. I had 2 Chinese algae eaters in my tank(one gold one brown) and the brown guy use to eat it but the gold one isn't??? I put the brown one in a different tank over 2 months ago

Different algae eaters eat different algae. Chinese Algae Eaters don't even eat very much algae, which is why they aren't going to be eating it. You could have black beard algae.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Different algae eaters eat different algae. Chinese Algae Eaters don't even eat very much algae, which is why they aren't going to be eating it. You could have black beard algae.

I'll look into that. I'll google for a pic because my LFS never has the fish labelled correctly lol

Ok I looked it up and so far it says that a Siamese Algae eater will eat the black beard algae. Is that right? Is it the only type that will eat it?

From what I know, yes. However, how big is your tank? Siamese algae eaters like to be kept in groups, and though you can keep them singly they still need to be kept in a large tank.

The best thing to do is to find the source of the algae. If you get rid of the problem, then you get rid of the algae.

Ok I just read that putting 1ml per 5 gallons of hydrogen peroxide will clear up my black algae. It says that it won't harm my fish if I dose it right. Anyone ever hear of this?

Ok I looked it up and so far it says that a Siamese Algae eater will eat the black beard algae. Is that right? Is it the only type that will eat it?

Hey Magikalgirl, I have been fighting this stuff for a while. Very hard to eradicate. American Flagfish will eat it like candy! If you can find them. They Hydrogen peroxide should work, but I was scared to try it as it can hurt your fish if you're not carefull. Feeding less, less light, and more live plants are all helpful, but I was recently told by a gentleman at the Mom and Pop LFS that it isn't un-beneficial(?), just kind of ugly.

Good Luck!

blert said:
Hydrogen peroxide is fine to use. Excel works too.

I put in the peroxide so I'll see if it helps. I wish my LFS wasn't 45min away or I would have stopped in to look for that Excel stuff and a new fish lol

JoeBob said:
Hey Magikalgirl, I have been fighting this stuff for a while. Very hard to eradicate. American Flagfish will eat it like candy! If you can find them. They Hydrogen peroxide should work, but I was scared to try it as it can hurt your fish if you're not carefull. Feeding less, less light, and more live plants are all helpful, but I was recently told by a gentleman at the Mom and Pop LFS that it isn't un-beneficial(?), just kind of ugly.

Good Luck!

Thank your your input. Next time I'm in town I'm going to stop in at my LPS and see about getting either the siamese algae eater or the American flag fish if possible. There are 2 stores but both 45-50 away so not someplace I can just drop in unfortunately. And I put in the peroxide so I'll post if it helps by tomorrow. So far no change and I'm doing a water change tomorrow regardless.

Back
Top Bottom