Is there such a thing as stocking too little?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debisbooked

Aquarium Advice Regular
Should I get more fish and if so, what kind? I'm wondering if too few fish is why my cories are sooooo shy and nervous. They used to dart around playfully when they first joined the tank around two years ago but now they practically dig holes in the substrate to stay hidden all the time. When I move their hiding place they zing off frantically looking for another one. I have eight neons, five black skirt tetras, two bolivian rams and the four Swartz' cories, plus lots of mts snails and several cherry shrimp in this 75g tank. There is a coconut cave that one cory occasionally uses but the others would rather hide behind it or under an anubia-covered log then come out, even when I'm adding food to the tank. For plants, there are several strands of valliseria, several crypts, two large anubias, one large java fern, java moss growing on the coconut cave, three pieces of driftwood, and floating limna that pretty much cover the top of the tank. I have two Rena XP3 fliters running but one has developed an air leak so there is a steady sound of air bubbles plopping. I wouldn't think that would bother the cories but who knows? The other fish do not act scared but go about their business. Maybe I should get more cories-would they feel safer then? Or do you think its the lights that bother them? I have two Coralite 55/65 W 10,000k lights on five hours a day. I watch the tank before the lights come on and the cories still don't venture out when lights are off. I could probably use more plants-they are rather spread out thinly across the tank.

I could use some suggestions - I fear that the cories are going to hurt themselves trying to push so far under the driftwood....:hide:

I would add another few corys ideal amount is 6 or above. This should hopefully help the shyness.

I agree. A few more and see if that makes them more confiedent. Also remember thats it is natural for corys to hide. I like mine to do that. Its more of a treat when they come out! And no they arent afriad of the bubbling sound. Maybe a few more plants to for more cover.

I agree. A few more and see if that makes them more confiedent. Also remember thats it is natural for corys to hide. I like mine to do that. Its more of a treat when they come out! And no they arent afriad of the bubbling sound. Maybe a few more plants to for more cover.

I'm not sure what else I can get for low tech tank. I don't run co2 and I don't fertilize the plants I have and they do ok.

debisbooked said:
Thanks! Can I 'mix and match' by getting different breeds of cories?

I tend to stick to the same type for a shoal.

But my shoal of 6 peppers 1 died and I went to my lfs to get another but he had none left but I did take his lone Sterbai cory with the agreement if it didn't shoal or was shy it would be returned, it worked out fine the Sterbai is active and feeds etc with the peppers tho this just could be luck.

As your corys are shy I would stick with the one type to see if it sorts them out

I have found that the larger corys (peppered, false julii) end up forming one group, but the pygmy corys must not trust their larger cousins, as they will not mingle with them.

I have 4 panda, 4 trilined and 2 peppers the pandas hang out in pairs and the others mix in I often find a pepper and a hidden in the same nook!!

Back
Top Bottom